Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How would you calculate recoil on a rifle? >

How would you calculate recoil on a rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How would you calculate recoil on a rifle?

Old 08-01-2005, 04:08 PM

Default How would you calculate recoil on a rifle?

ok my ? is how would you calculate recoil? And i tried the remington and it says with a 300wby that is it 53 lbs [:-]of recoil and weatherby says its39.2lbs(180 gr sp muzzle velocity of 3240) But another ? is which one is more accurate? and is there some kinda math i can do personally to find out recoil
Old 08-01-2005, 04:43 PM

Default RE: How would you calculate recoil on a rifle?

I have a website in my notes that tells all you need to know, i will trying to find it for you. The Wby is what they said though. vangunsmith
Old 08-01-2005, 04:57 PM

Here is the Powley method. For using Duponts,pb,sr or imr powders. Take the powder charge in grains and add it to the weight of he bullet(or shot,plus wad)also in grains,and multiply the sum by the powder charge,in grains,this product is then divided by 80 times the gun weight in pounds to get the answer in foot pounds. vangunsmith
Old 08-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm that will tell you all you need.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 PM

WELL THANK YOU GUYS BOTH
Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

If you reload www.shortmags.org has arecoil calculator you can use. Just punch in the data and press a button.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

See the attached link.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/RecoilCalc.aspx
Old 08-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck Hawks website has a good chart (and a better one if you subscibe to his site), and the shortmags.com calculator is decent as well, but there's one very important thing to keep in mind with those methods. They compute absolute recoil, not felt recoil. They provide a good basis for comparing, for instance, the relative recoil of identical rifles in different calibers. The problem is that it doesn't take into account differences in stock dimensions, recoil pad or absence thereof, fit of the gun to the shooter, shooting position etc... I've personally observed that some guns feel like they recoil harder or softer than they ought to based on the raw numbers, and I've personally experienced weaker cartridges that feel worse out of one gun that a much stronger cartridge out of another.

Like I said, this is just something to keep in the back of your mind so you don't get too caught up in the numbers that you forget that there is a lot more at play than raw absolute values when it comes to the perception of recoil.

Mike

Old 08-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually I shoot the rifle and the volume of my curses is directly proportional to the recoil.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Why bother? I think to many guys are getting caught up in the notion of recoil. If you are concerned enough about the gun before you shoot it too the point you want a mathematical value to put on it, you probably are gonna fear it and shoot poorly with it to begin with! Weight and caliber are not the ONLY things that effect recoil. A stocks shape has MUCH more to do with how a caliber feels than does singly its weight or material of makeup. Typically the "flatter" and more plain the stock (aka ADL Rems, standard M77s and Savage centerfires) have MUCH more percieved recoil than say a highly flared and contoured stock like those on Mark Vs, Sakos etc.

Basically a "straight stick" will not shed or disappate any recoil, it all goes back into your shoulder and face when fired. With a high combed cheekpiece and slightly tapered forearm that allows you to hold onto it, the recoil is absorbed and transmitted to a larger area with such configurations. A 300WSM Weathermaster Savage will kick MUCH more than say a 300WSM Model 75 Hunter. And I am not even accounting for recoil pads, Pachmeyer Decelerator and Simms/R3 pads are MUCH more forgiving and pleasurable than the old solid Goodyear "pads" found on old Rugers and Winchesters.

Shoot the guns and let your shoulders decide before you put a figure into your head which will then tense your body with anticipation!
RA

Quick Reply: How would you calculate recoil on a rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.