Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Power ball and Glaser safety slugs >

Power ball and Glaser safety slugs

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Power ball and Glaser safety slugs

Old 07-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Power ball and Glaser safety slugs

Has anyone here had any experience with either the Power Ball or Glaser safety slugs as self defense ammunition.

I am sure that no one has had to actually shoot someone with either of them but if you have actually fired and/ or tested either of these two offerings in any caliber I am interrested in reading about your findings.

I like very much the idea behind these two types of ammunition but can't seem to find anyone that has experience with them.

Thanks for any input.

BTW, both can be found at http://corbon.com/
Old 07-31-2005, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Power ball and Glaser safety slugs

I have not tried the powerball .I did shoot the safety slugs into some wet phone books .They really expend the energy fast.come all to pieces .I also shot some corbons,They did well.There was another that I can't remember the name right now ,But the jacket came off and went through looking like a star fish.Nasty looking round.But I am sure it would be a super self-defense round.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:46 AM

what is it a beanbag?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Glaser safety slugs are basically bird shot that has been compressed so tightly that they are almost solid. When they hit soft tissue they give enough penetration to reach the vitals of an intruder but at the same time fragment and dump energy everyhere and create a massive wound just behind the ribs.

Also when they strike solid objects such as a wall they decentigrate very rapidly and greatly reduce the chances of riccocet and penetration through numerous walls.

Swamp, did the Glasers show adequate penetration inot the phone books?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big, The Glaser went through about 2 1/2 to 3 inches before it did it's thing .Then it went about 2 more inches and it was done.It tore up about a 3 - 4 inch pattern when done . This was from a S&W Model 60 .357 mag. with a 2 3/8 inch barrel at 15 feet.It is pretty devastating at that range.I wish I could remember the "Starfish" round though.It was not very good as far as not going through walls ,But it went through like a saw what ever it hit.