Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 new england firearms >

new england firearms

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new england firearms

Old 07-25-2005, 10:40 PM

Default new england firearms

any input on them? there real cheap and i was thinkin of picking one up in a 12ga. since the only gun i own is a .22. thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: new england firearms

They have worked very well for me. I have a 12 Ga. and quite a few of their rifles. They all shoot good hunting size groups and IMO are well worth the money.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:22 AM

NEF and H&R are the same company. anyway their firearms all seem to shoot pretty good. i have foura .22cal, two .223's and an old 12 ga. they allshoot very good. i don't think you can go wrong for the price.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

I have one in 243 and I love it! They dont have the athestetics that other rifles have but they do have the accureacy! The single shot I have can keep 1 and 1 half inch patterns at 100 yards with me shooting it. It would probably be better than that if a better shooter were behind the trigger. I will take this one whitetail hunting this year. EJ
Old 07-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

243....1 and 1 half inch patterns at 100 yards

I just couldn't help but chuckle when I read that! If myrifles pattern they get traded off on one that groups....shotgunspattern!

My uncle has an NEF 243 that he topped with a Vari-X II 3-9(Don't ask, I can't get him to justify it either). Anyway, the rifle shoots well, but it's not going to win any awards. It'll group about 1" on a really good group, but hangs out about 1.25-1.75" generally most times. For whitetails in PA at ranges not exceeding 150 yards it does just fine. As far as the shotguns go they are fine. Nothing fancy for sure, but they'll get the job done. I do not suggest you shoot heavy 3" magnums though....they just plain hurt out of those really lightweight break actions![:@]
Old 07-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

I was a bird hunter long before I was a big game hunter, not to mention that my wife uses the word pattern alot. At least I didnt say any reference to scrapbooking!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't let anyone shet you! Not all guns, (or shooters) get <.5" groups! WhileI have seen some people post pics of some really tight groups here, it seems that most everyone comming from the range just shot "a group that you can cover with a dime!" (BS! they convieniently never have the proof with them!) Most of these people at workI know don't go to the range except once a year! Natural born, gifted shooters, I say!
1-1/2" is fine for any hunting gun!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

My belief exactly! Oldelkhunter says it best when he says that more dime size groups exist on the web than at the range! Yeah, honestly, 3 inches is the best I can do with my 30-06 at 100 yards laying down on my jacket. The 243 NEF is the 1 1/2 shooter. A three inch area is groceries where I come from! EJ
Old 07-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that if a rifle will group 1 1/2 inch everytime out even with shooter error, It a game getter. Some folks can hold a rifle very steady or have a good rest and can beat that at times. I want a rifle that will hit within an inch or so of where I aim at the ranges I hunt. Thats all thats required. The harder I try for tiny groups, the bigger they get.[:@]
Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 AM

I've also been looking at the NEF's for a while now and I will probably pick one up soon. They do seem like a good deal and i know a lot of guys on this site have had/are having good results using them.

Quick Reply: new england firearms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.