Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 boyd's gunstocks >

boyd's gunstocks

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

boyd's gunstocks

Old 06-09-2005, 01:22 PM

Default boyd's gunstocks

Does anyone have experience with boyd's gunstocks? I'm thinking of buying an inexpensive savage 110 in .243 or .308 and put a boyd's thumbhole laminate stock on it. My main concern is if this is a drop-in install, because i dont want to have to do any woodworking, just put the stock in place and go. The stocks themselves seem to have a very reasonable price. Also, do you think this stock will affect accuracy of the savage gun? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:22 PM

Default RE: boyd's gunstocks

These may or may not be a true "drop in" - but the amount of tweaking necessary to get it to fit is generally very minimal. A little sanding . . . . maybe a little dab of the dremel tool. And a little glass bedding compound . . . Pretty basic stuff.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Spike

My experience with my laminated stock for my Howa 1500 echoes Roskoe's. A little hogging out of the forend to make sure the barrel wasn't touching, a little touch of the dremel tool at the rear of the bolt so that the bolt could be opened. Really not a big deal. Also wound up putting a bit of bedding compound around the recoil lug. Shoots much better now than with the original Butler Creek plastic stock. Looks much better, too. Good deal for the price, got it on sale for about $120 at Midway.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at Richard's Microfit gunstocks. They will be as close to "drop-in" as you'll find and I think look better than Boyd's.

www.rifle-stocks.com
Old 06-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may be limited in a 110 243. The only one that will fit is a JRS classic. I JUST ran into this problem. Bought a thumbhole sporter, but the 110 long action AND the 10 short action both don't fit. There is an "intermediate" action available in the JRS classic that will fit a 243 in 110. Hope that helps. Otherwise the stock I had was pretty nice. Gray laminate, machined well, I was intent on finishing it myself.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:24 AM

I just finished a Turk Mauser sporterization and I put it in a Boyds JRS stock. I bought the "Finished" model. It was not "drop in", but in less than a copule hours with a dremel tool, I had it in and looking good, and I am no master woodworker. I plan on shooting it this weekend. I would recomend these stocks highly.

FYI - When I bought the stock it said that the Mauser models often need minor inletting due the the many slight variations of Mausers over the years.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 06-10-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at Richard's Microfit gunstocks. They will be as close to "drop-in" as you'll find and I think look better than Boyd's.
While I agree they look better, in my experience with three Savage stocks from Richard's they are far from "drop-in". It took quite a bit of careful sanding, fitting and bedding to get them right.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

No, I agree they are not "drop-in" I thought that was clear in my post. I've yet to come across an after-market stock that was "drop-in".
Old 06-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

I purchased a laminated thumbhole sporter stock from Boyds two years ago. It only required minimal sanding to make the fit correct. This can be done by a novice just be patient. I like the looks and feel of the stock and I'm pleased with my purchase. I did take it to the local gunsmith and have it bedded. The only drawback to the design is it isn't ambidextrous. So if you need to shoot with the left hand it is a little awkward. I have done it with good success though.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me say one more thing about boyds. Since i had to deal with returning a stock, I want to give them good marks on being nice and courteous with me for getting things straightened out.

Quick Reply: boyd's gunstocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.