Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry >

heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry

Old 06-08-2005, 01:43 AM

Default heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry

I want a carry rifle for predator and varmint hunting but I also don't want to give up accuracy. I've many posts of people who swear they will never carry a heavy barrel again. But we are talking a couple of pounds here. I can't help but think of the people who climb Mt. Ranier with heavy backpacks, boots and crampons and me complaining that the barrel on my rifle weighs a pound an a half more. Heck, I can't save that much weight in the boots I wear. I'm in relatively decent shape. I would like to get the opinions of some of you who have carried heavy barreled rifles. Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry

My pack is typically many times more heavy than rifle. I had a .338 Win Mag that was probably 11.5 # loaded with scope and sling, and frankly I never noticed. But then I have had to hump gear for many years. For an office worker that does not prepare physically for the field, I could see where it might be a burden. I admit I do feel things now more in my 50's.

The varmint cartridges in 22 Centerfire with a regular barrel don't have much whip, and unless you are heating up prairie dog town, you may not need the extra steel. I just bought a .223 Remington and I had to make the choice again. Having fired the M700 for years in 222 with good accuracy in a sporter barrel, I went with a sporter 24 inch barrel again.

If keyhole groups at 100 yards is your goal, or if you are moving up in caliber, personally I would look harder at a heavy barrel.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Many people carry heavy barrel rifles for predator and varmint rifles. At least the rifles that are named "Varmint Special," "The Varmint Destructor," and such like usually feature heavy barrels. I would guess that the hunting for varmints and predators typically doesn't involve long hikes and does involve a lot of sitting still in one place, and a heavy barrel in this circumstance shouldn't be a big deal.

I have two rifles that my father built in the late 60's early 70's based on Springfield military actions: one is a .30-06 and the other is a .25-06. Both weigh about 11 LBS. I just carry the rifles. I love them. They look really great -- nice walnut stocks, but substantial stocks not toothpick-thin stocks, and hence heavy. I'm 6' 2" tall and try to be in good physical shape when I hunt. I figure if the average hunter is 5' 10" and prefers a 7.5 LBS rifle, I ought to be able to handle the heavier rifle with no problems. If you are concerned, just do a little extra arm conditioning with dumb bell weights.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

If you are looking for a compromise two rifles come to mind. The Remington M700 LV SF (light varmint stainless fluted). The rifle has a medium weight fluted barrel and blind magazine to reduce weight. The total weight is 6.75# and it's available in the popular varmint calibers.

Another rifle that might fit the bill a bit better is the Browning A-Bolt Varmint Stalker that weighs in at 7lbs. 13 oz. It has a 24" barrel and a medium weight varmint barrel. I think the weight of this rifle is similar to most standard sporters but it carries a heavier contour barrel. It is available in the WSSM calibers and the standard popular varmint calibers. The stock also comes with the Dura-Touch coating which I like very much.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:13 AM
bigcountry

I won't carry a heavy gun again. But also don't take risky shots. I don't need to shoot 500 yards. I am not starving and like to hunt the animal.

A pack general fits more comfortable than a gun sling. My advise is get a top notch gun sling with very tacky material to hold on your shoulders. Believe me the last thing you want is those tactical web type slings. Slides right off.

I doubt most people deer hunting will ever have an issue. Most you walk is like 1 mile, more or less. Thats pretty well nothing. But for stalk hunters, moose, or caribou, or elk, where you cover 10 miles it is an issue. But I see alot of elk hunters these days doing alot of truck hunting anyway.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two of my favorite rifles are both Remington 700 VLS rifles. One in 6mm for varmints and the other in 308 Win. The barrel forward weight is very comfortable and helps steady longer shots. As for the weight: I don't have any issues with that, especially with a quality sling.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

No more heavy barrels for me. I have not found them to shoot any better for a short string of shots 3-5. Thats about the longest string you would shoot hunting big game.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:19 PM

For me, there is a certain perfect rifle weight that generally involves a #5 (Shilen, Krieger, or Douglas) contour barrel. These are around .710 at the muzzle, and are about 1/2 way between a standard sporter barrel and the varmint profile. Total weight of the gun is about ten pounds with scope, sling, etc. Heavy enough to be very steady at the moment of truth, but light enough to carry a few miles at high altitude.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Rem. VLS in .243, with bull barrell, and it absolutely sucks to carry around. I dont see a difference in accuracy either. Dont think i'd own one again.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The advantages of the additional weight of a varmint barrel over the conventional light weight barrels is more that worth the added 2.6 lbs. of mass weight. First shot accuracy from a cold barrel, stability on long shots and a more stable platform in wind to me is worth the additional mass weight equivalent to 2-6.5 x 20 Leupold scopes with mounts. Add a Harris bi-pod to the standard, light weight rifle and you have more mass weight than a complete varmint rifle with scope, mounts, rings and full magazine of ammo.

Quick Reply: heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.