Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifled slug barrel vs. rifled choke tube >

Rifled slug barrel vs. rifled choke tube

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled slug barrel vs. rifled choke tube

Old 05-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Rifled slug barrel vs. rifled choke tube

I've been invited on an Iowa deer hunt in December. Where I live I've never had a use for a slug. I have a Remington 870 pump gun that I will use. My dilemma is that I don't want to spend a ton of money for a one time hunt. I would like to know the results you slug hunters get when using a rifled choke tube. ALso, what kind of slugs are you using in a choke tube? I would like to be able to shoot at least 125 yards with enough accuracy to take a mature buck. Will the choke tube suffice or do I need to bite the bullet and invest in a new barrel? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rifled slug barrel vs. rifled choke tube

Shooting a slug 125 yards with only a rifle choke will be nearly impossible under any conditions. I know of people who have done it, but doing it consistently is quite a challenge. Get yourself a rifle barrel for $200 and shoot sabot slugs with confidence. If you get within range of a big buck, you'll thank yourself.

I hunt with a smoothbore 870 shooting slugs, but I can only hit a pie plate out to about 75 yards. Fortunately that's all I need in my shotgun hunting spots, but Iowa is a bit different.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:40 AM
bigcountry

I would like to be able to shoot at least 125 yards with enough accuracy to take a mature buck
Well, I have seen people do it with a rifled choke tube with great accuacy. the problem is not the barrel, but more the sights. If you can mount a scope on the reciever, you can get away with the choke tube only. If you can't the bead usually takes up the whole side of a deer at 35 yards. And you really don't know where you are hitting.

Unless you have a barrel with rifled sights like a turkey barrel.

For once in a life hunt, I would almost loan you a 870 rifled barrel with rifled sights.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for posting this question. I have often wondered the same thing. I have never lived anywhere that required the use of shotguns for deer so I have not used them much. I do like to carry a shotgun while camping in bear country and such.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

heck, the only time I EVER carried a shotgun for deer season, I missed a nice 8pt at 40 yrds WITH a rifled barrel AND a scope.........soooooo I'm out on this one

*** how many guys on here actually have the jewels to post that they MISSED a deer and laugh about it???!!!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey guys,how about the states that are shotgun only?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Winchester Model 12 in 16g. built in 1947, so obviously, it's a smooth bore. As a teen, I practiced at 50 and 100 yards with slugs on milk jugs. I scored a doe at 75 yards. It dropped, got up and ran about 40 yards, and dropped again for good.

BTW, the barrel is full choke, and it has a bead sight.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

I'm sorry that I failed to mention I will be mounting a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9X40 on the shotgun. I have looked on ebay and gunsamerica for a used cantilever rifled barrel to no avail. I've also done some research and Lightfield suggests using Lightfield Lites in a rifled choke tube. If I can't find a used barrel for a decent price I will use the choke tube and the Lites. Thanks guys for all of the quick replies.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you asked for advice, I'd say go with a lower cost scope, and get a fully rifled barrel. I shoot a slug gun with a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5 that cost $75. Works great.

I do think you can get by with just a tube if you want. You may have to try a few brands of sabot slugs until you get one that is accurate out to 125. I find I usually shoot my deer at less than half that range.

Do your target work with various brands at 50. Take the one that groups the best to do your final sight in, for say 75 or 100 yds, and then see how much drop you get out to your max. comfortable range.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another option that makes sense is a NEF slug gun. The price may be very comparable with your other options, assuming you don't already own that Nikon.

Quick Reply: Rifled slug barrel vs. rifled choke tube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.