Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive? >

7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive?

Old 05-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive?

I wonder if this round will make it or not ? Anyone use it and if so with with high SD bullets?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:58 AM

Default RE: 7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive?

OEH,
Cartridges are kinda like boxing. To beat the champ you gotta knock him out. In my opinion, the 7mm Ultramag is just too ballistically close to the 7mm STW. It tops the STW, but not by enough to steal it's niche.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Innie, Minnie, Mynie, Moe!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep I am thinking its a goner myself
Old 05-26-2005, 09:26 AM

I bet it will still linger on, maybe only in custom long range guns. Remington sure has not done a good job marketing their new cartidges most all of them havent achieved much popularity, especially when compared to the wsm's and wssm's
-300 saum
-7mm saum
-7mm ultra mag
-300 ultra mag is probably the most popular out of the four
Old 05-26-2005, 09:34 AM
bigcountry

I believe the 300RUM will make it but the 7mm will die. Remington is not like weatherby that keeps on making all thier cartridges even though they probably sell 10% of what remington does. It seems remington looks for high volumn, high margin.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to own a 7mm Ultra mag,but I to think it is going to die,there is just not a whole lot of choices for ammo,and sine I have liqidated about every gun I own,I sold 90% of my reloading stuff also.I kept a few and plan to buy more.I kept my 416 Rem,.338 Win,30-06,(new)270 WSM,7mm-08,25-06's and 6mm,243 and .223.The rest have hit the road,but if I ever get back into reloading I will maybe pick up the 7mm UM.
BBJ
Old 05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remington is famous for dumping their own developments. I think the Seven will die out soon. The 300 will survive even though its in a crowd of simular performing cartridges. As far as performance goes, nothing sets it very far from the 300 Win Mag,300 WSM 300 Weatherby and 300-378 Weatherby. Even the 30-06 and 308 are in the ball park for the animals they will take. Folks seem to like lots of choices but the 308 caliber is a mainstay in America.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

I would like to own a 7mm Ultra mag.... if I ever get back into reloading I will maybe pick up the 7mm UM.
BBJ
I'll sell ya mine!!

I own a 7mm RUM and really enjoy it. I'm a huge fan of the 7mm bullet to begin with and the RUM let's me reach out with flatness and energy. My only problem is I recently moved to Utah where they make you pick your weapon (Wyo let's you hunt all weapons depending on the season, blah.. blah). With that in mind, I'm a diehard bowhunter, plus my boys are about of hunting age. I will still hit some rifle states, but with them so close, there is no way in the world I will let them shoot that beast.

Anyway, I hope the 7mm RUM doesn't die, but it might simply because of ammo. You really can't buy much for it and most of us, me included, hand load everything.

P.S. Anyone interested in mine, I'm seriously considering selling it due to above. I would also be selling all my reloading stuff with it (dies, 100+ brass, etc.) Remington 700, 7mm RUM, BDL, Sync/SS 26" barrel, with a pachmeyer custom butt pad (works very well). It was also sent to a very good gunsmith who reseated the barrel and did a little trigger work on it to make it just a bit more sensitive. About 3+ years old in very good shape.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

I would not own one after Remington cut the factory loads down to one 140gr load. I reload but I still want factory ammo options.

Quick Reply: 7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.