Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Big Brook Trout

Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Big Brook Trout

My brother was in elk camp in CO on the Grand Mesa and took a little time off to do a little fishing. He ended up with this brookie. He didn't have a scale but he held it against a stick and broke the stick to the same length as the fish. When he got home he measured it at 21 inches. He says the fish probably weighed about 5 lbs.

This fish was caught in one of the lakes my late father liked to fish. Dad always wanted a really big brookie but he never broke the 3 lb mark. My brother couldn't bring himself to keep it so he released it right after this photo was taken. That's right Folks, catch and release on a 5 lb brookie.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good fish, we tend to do alot of releasing as well. Keep what we need play with the rest.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, that is a very good brook trout! I was hoping to go after some this past summer but never got out much.. Instead I worked around the camp I had bought this spring and only went out once by myself and then took my grandkids for a day out.. Just never felt like it.. Now at least I know why anyways..
My guess on that trout would place him as a male weighing between 4 and 4 1/2 lbs.. Still it is surely a big brookie though..