Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

eyes...

Old 06-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default eyes...

i want to catch some walleyes in river..my grama has a boat and i spend alot of time fishing around the area of the dock and sometimes from the boat..theres a big bridge near the dock and a deep hole infront of it reachable from the bank and the typical runs and lies infront and behind the pillar.....i plan to do alot of my fishing in that hole...bass eyes cats ill do it all there....any suggestions on baits and how to fish them from the bank for walleyes? i was thinking one rod with a worm or minnow on a floating jighead right up close the the pillar and the other i will have a jig tipped with a worm or minnow jigging it in the current the best i can...am i wasting time? also i thought about vertical jigging from the dock...theres tons and tons of dock to fish from...i dont know if its allowed but i will try anything once...probably using the same jig tipped with a worm or minnow...any suggestions? are any of my ideas going to lead to fish or waste time? i only fished for walleyes once and i was on a boat just dragging our baits with the current taking us...it was pretty fun and they are pretty fun fish to fight and look like nothing else...anyone want to give some advice? is the water to warm or do i still have time? i can skip walleyes and go straight to bass but that wouldnt be to fun..i wanted to try for some eyes this year...thanx alot...also i thought about typing some of my own jigs up...chennel bodies and marabou tails...will they catch walleyes like regular curlytail grub jigs? what about bucktails? both can and may be tipped with a minnow or a crawler...will they work for eyes? seems all i seen is the typical grub and a jighead...i think it would be fun to tie them up in the winter and fish them....maybe they arent used often becuase buying grubs and jigheads is much easier and are found easier? anyone?? thanx alot...
Old 06-09-2003, 01:32 PM

Default RE: eyes...

mauser06;
First of all where are you at? What river or lake are you fishing? Walleye have a tendency to migrate a lot in lakes and rivers. They tend to be a more nocturnal fish then most species. Now don' t take this wrong, walleye can be caught in the day, but the the best walleye fishing in the day is in deeper water using jigs, or trolling spoons, crank baits, or crawler harnesses. And the bait if choice is either minnows, night crawlers, or leaches.

Walleye will migrate from deep to shallow water during the night, and follow a certain path to feed. If your fishing toward evenings, try a crank baits. I kind of favor the Rapalas, and change from the husky jerk to a regular 13 in the evenings.

Some nights they will only take the Husky jerks, other night they' ll only take the 13 regular. Why they do this is beyond me. The school of walleye will come into a certain area and feed like crazy for a few minutes, then leave the area. Then an hour later they' ll be back.

One trick we do here in Michigan, fishing Lake St. Clare. Is to use a three way swivel set up. You put a 2 foot lead, and a 4 foot lead on the swivel. Attach a crank bait like a Hot-n-Tot on the 2 foot lead, and a small spoon to the 4 foot lead. And troll that around 40 feet behind the boat. This is during the day. Toward evening we troll crank baits. Either Bombers or Rapalas, 65 to 70 behind the boat. We also cast the points and small bays on the lake.

I hope this will help you out. Good luck!

Coyote Caller
Old 06-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep nite time is the best for mr/ms big eyes.( or deep to i guess ) good nitepredator etc , anything that looks like a fish , meal , is eatable ,l eats ike a pike.
guess thats why some call im yellow/ blue pike etc too.

need more of them around here ,! eat up some of thses trouts.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could prob eat fresh eyes & frys every day if i had im!.

but a big perch/ the perch family i think maybe , yellow perchs are yumm2![:-]
Old 06-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

im fishing the beaver and ohio rivers.....i am in PA...i dont really have a way to troll at all.....ill be on the bank most of the time....i read they go deep because their eyes are light sensative or something....i heard to try darker deeper areas....this bridge makes it dark and the water looked very deep and had a nice current....how would i night fish?? just a live minnow out there? i dont really have any crankbaits....never had any luck with them for anything...though ive never given them an honest chance..a hve a diving rapala that looks like a bass and a rapala countdown in brown....i planned to fish them some this summer...i hooked a monster eye one day with a spoon in the ohio i was fishing for white bass mainly...it was fairly shallow maybe 6ft at most and my spoon was probally 2 ft under id guess...he got off right at the bank when he rolled....my dad seen it and got a good look and knows it was over 30inches....i kick myself every day over that...i shouldnt horsed him so much.....i should known better....but i dont know much about walleye fishing or real walleye baits....i went with my friend and we used worms on a jighead and minnows on jigs and jighead....we were on a boat drifting with the wind in about 20 some foot of water all day...i will try my hole...maybe one night instead of catfishing i will try some live minnows and see if i cant get me some eyes...they look so cool to me.....thanx guys
Old 06-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don' t forget that if your fishing a river most rivers are cloudy and let less light in, thus making catching eyes during the day very possible. In lakes it is the not the norm to have a good run on eye during the day, unless early or deep. I would say your best bet fishing rivers is jig/grub combos, jigs tipped with bait or riggin with bait. riggin is a pickeral rig with a weight, baited on the bottom, take up the slack and wait for the jingle. Jigs combos or baited I let the jig fall and then if clean bottom let it drift along the bottom/popping it up slightly. If a stick, rock bottom that produces snags I will keep it just above the crap on a slow retrieve and pop. Walleye like to pick up lures on the down, so make sure to keep tension on the line as it falls to follow on those strikes. While cranks can work deadly, most rivers tend to have lots of sticks, trees, etc that love to eat up those expensive crank baits. I don' t mind losing some terminal tackle or jigs but when its 5-10 bucks a crack I get a little p' d. In my experience most river system the best practice for eyes, is a simple baited approach, live bait if legal (minnows or leechs work well). As far as time of day, i would fish it at all times, evening and night is usually the best time but I have caught them in rivers all day long, so try it and then see where you end up. I also like to look for an eddie, slack water after or before current peferably. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

They got big rods& cones,eyes the better to see lunch Good luck Mauser hope ya get some big ones.[:-]
Old 06-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are on the right track with the floating jig hear and minnow or leeches. I do a lot of shore fishing for Walleye. I put on a lindy no-snag sinker then a good swivel. I tie a 16-20 inch leader on with a Northland Gum drop floater or floating jig head on. I leave a little slack in the line so they can pick up the bait without feelin the weight. If they are active, a jig and minnow or leech works well. Half a night crawler works good in summer as well as frogs.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]