Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Pond fishermen-biggest bass..what lure? >

Pond fishermen-biggest bass..what lure?

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Pond fishermen-biggest bass..what lure?

Old 02-23-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Pond fishermen-biggest bass..what lure?

Hey, seems like its been forever since I' ve been on huntingnet, but I have a question for you fishermen who fish mostly ponds...of the biggest bass you' ve caught out of a freshwater pond, what lure(s) did you use? Once it warms up here again I' d like to go and try to catch the lunker out of our pond instead of all the tiny bass I hooked last year. Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pond fishermen-biggest bass..what lure?

hmm i fish farm ponds alot...my most succsesful lure is usually a popper...a rapala skitter pop or whatever its call i cant even remember..its the smallest one in the brown frog pattern...and the other was a rebel ...not a big one just a small one...looked like a bass i think...it was a killer...for like 3 bucks it caught me way more than my fair share of bass..next to that walmart sells/sold tiny strikeking spinner baits...the big ones NEVER worked for me..i bought a few little ones and KILLED them...i think the were under 2 bucks a piece....nice thing is you dont get bored with any of these lures because small ones can still hit them...i had fun with them......gota restock now that i think about it.....nothing beats a summer day working a popper about a log pile in a farm pond....
Old 02-25-2003, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest pond bass I ever caught was a 9 pounder on a #10 popping bug. I was flyfishing for bluegills with a 7' 5 wt rod, and using a 9" piece of 6# Trilene for a leader. Talk about FUN!

I' ve also caught some whoppers on small Hula Poppers and Rapala minnows and 4" worms on a split shot rig. The pond bass in my neck of the woods seem to like black best. Light line, too. Whenever I go to heavier line than 8# test, I hardly ever get bit.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

my biggest small pond bass was 5.5 pounds on a black 1/4 oz spinner bait. my largest large pond bass was 6.9 pounds on a 1/2 oz white buzz bait.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My biggest pond bass was a 5 pounder on a firetiger inline spinner. I' ve caught numberous 2-4 pounders on it also.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:15 PM

For ponds, in-line spinners, spinnerbaits, and best of all- a tennesee shad colored small Rapala Husky Jerk, o yea
Old 03-01-2003, 01:54 PM

My biggest bass were taken on either a popper or a jitter bug.The jitter bug seems to work best in the late nite or early morning.Poppers,torpedoes and deerhair bugs work good most of the day,for me overcast days being the best.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:03 AM

My biggest is a 5-1/2 on a slug-go. Can' t wait for the weather to warm up.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:34 PM

last year I caught a 9lb 4oz bass by deadsticking a texas rigged berkley powerbait a black with a blue tail I was using 20lb fireline. I caught it my first trip out last year. Talk about hard to top. I also caught a few 5 pounders last year at different places. I caught them later in the summer on a powerbait tournament strength electric green six inch work with eight pound line. I was floating it on top slowly with no weight. I hope I can have half as good a year this year on ponds as I did last year.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:59 PM

Biggest bass was and 8 pounder caught on a purple plastic worm.

Quick Reply: Pond fishermen-biggest bass..what lure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.