Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Best lure to use in farm pond? >

Best lure to use in farm pond?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best lure to use in farm pond?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best lure to use in farm pond?

What is the best lure to use in a small farm pond that for sure has fish? In particular I fish for bass, I am semi successful butIfavor worms (live and fake), spinners,fake minnows, and crappie jigs and I would like to catch morehaha...just an opinion on what you use or would use on a small farm pond to catch bass?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best lure to use in farm pond?

i absolutely used to slam bass in farm ponds with the mini spinner baits...they are the same shape and design as full sized spinner baits, just smaller...i did REALLY well with them everywhere when i used to bass fish alot. i never liked the full sized ones...i aint on TV and dont have 5lb bass all over...them full sized spinner baits were just too big looking to me...never even tried them...them smaller ones are a killer though...and still caught me bass of all sizes...

also, poppers worked great exspecially if there was logs or cover in the water i couldnt get the spinner baits into..i could use the popper and draw them out of the cover...and top water bass fishing is just a blast...

i learned that fishing the spinner baits paralell to the bank was the ticket..but the farm ponds i fished were man made and had pretty steep banks..the fish laid pretty tight against the banks...

man i used to have a ball with summertime bass...then reality and work came...then i learned how to catch good sized catfish out of the river at night after work!!

good luck!! dont be shocked if theres lunkers in there!! ive seen some farm ponds that were polluted with 12" bass...all stunted growth and couldnt get any larger...small pond..too many fish...i culled fish from them for a while...both bass and panfish...others though, ive caught some "trophy" bass...
Old 04-23-2008, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i absolutely used to slam bass in farm ponds with the mini spinner baits...they are the same shape and design as full sized spinner baits, just smaller...i did REALLY well with them everywhere when i used to bass fish alot. i never liked the full sized ones...i aint on TV and dont have 5lb bass all over...them full sized spinner baits were just too big looking to me...never even tried them...them smaller ones are a killer though...and still caught me bass of all sizes...

also, poppers worked great exspecially if there was logs or cover in the water i couldnt get the spinner baits into..i could use the popper and draw them out of the cover...and top water bass fishing is just a blast...
Couldn't agree more, the smaller spinners are killer baits anywhere. I use them in white, pink, and white/pink combos. You can also try the Beetle spin type lures, I like tipping the jig with a power grub or mister twister myself, intead of the beetle grub. Also, you can never go wrong with an inline spinner as well. Try a Mepps Comet or white RoosterTail.

I too am also a fan of small poppers and prop-style baits too. I am especially partial to the prop bait, but that's just me. Like mauser said, they work great where you can't throw the spinners, and they are very easy to use - not to mention waiting for a bass to hit a topwater bait is one of the most exciting ways to fish. Good luck and show us your results!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

My favorites from best to decent..

Rapala
Inline spinner baits..Mepps or Rooster Tail
Lazy Ike ..flat fish
Rubber Worm
Old 04-23-2008, 01:10 PM

If you are fishing a farm pond full of smaller bass with the occasional lunker and you want to increase the size of fish then increase the size of your bait. If you want to catch tons of fish and don't care about size then the smaller spinnerbaits will do perfectly. Remember a 5lb bass in a farm bond would much rather eat a bigger meal then waste energy for something smaller just like the same 5lb bass in a large reservoir. That being said the Baby 1-minus was designed perfectly for small farm ponds. (Once again it doesn't select out the little fish though)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is just about the only way i fish. i use little george and trickworms
Old 04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

myself i use 1-inch curlytaile jig colorblackand green of blackand gray with out the blades. I went fishing last night the bass,crappy,redear,bluegill where hitting my blackandgray jig hard caught 32 before the rain came.Going back out sat.evening this time i'm planning on keeping them. 99 time out of a 100 i throw them back but this time i'l keep them to give them to the folks next door.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:50 PM

Yellow trick worms
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

kwaldeier-I've been out three time since i last wrote you i been useing the black@gray curlytail and the black@green curlytail .The frist time out caught 32 thats crappy,bass,redear,bluegill, the next time out caught 28 same can of fish with out today caught 27 befor the high winds pick up gpt pretty cold out there in shorts and t-shirt but again cought the same kind of fish .I always seem to have good luck useing those lures, i reel them slow at first then a little faster to find out which way catches themost stricks this time of year the slower works best for me good luck to ya.