Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

introducing fish

Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 PM

Default introducing fish

i have a privite swamp/pond behind my house. i knew there was bullhead and sunfish but i want to put bass ind crappie in. there plenty of frogs and minnows. the deepest part is about 12-13 feet deep lots of vegatation and cover. do you think this is possible to put fish in there
Old 04-28-2008, 04:50 PM

Default RE: introducing fish

I would say that if there are fish already living in the pond, that bass and/or crappie could survive. I'm not a biologist by any stretch - so anyone here feel free to correct me on this - but one concern I would have is oxygen content of the water, if it's choked with weeds and shallow, fish may have a hard time surviving winters or even harsh summers as well. I would pick up as much literature as you can find and start reading up honestly. Try looking for Forrest Wood's book on making bass fishing ponds.

Otherwise - here is a link I had saved awhile back, cruise around some of these articles and maybe you'll find an answer.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_bio...ng_a_pond.html
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smallgamehunter12

i have a privite swamp/pond behind my house. i knew there was bullhead and sunfish but i want to put bass ind crappie in. there plenty of frogs and minnows. the deepest part is about 12-13 feet deep lots of vegatation and cover. do you think this is possible to put fish in there
Not sure about the crappie, but the bass will THRIVE if there is an abundant amount of vegatation. The weed growth will produce oxygen as long as it's not completly covered in weeds like Austin mentioned, but I don't see that happening in 12-13 foot of water. I don't know how big/small of pond you have, butjust remember if it's on the smaller side, you may have to "supplement" baitfish every so often so your bass have plenty to eat. Also try to keep the bass numbers manageable or you will stunt their growth.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

most def. but how many acres?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

ORIGINAL: smallgamehunter12

the bass will THRIVE if there is an abundant amount of vegatation. The weed growth will produce oxygen as long as it's not completly covered in weeds like Austin mentioned, but I don't see that happening in 12-13 foot of water. I don't know how big/small of pond you have, butjust remember if it's on the smaller side, you may have to "supplement" baitfish every so often so your bass have plenty to eat. Also try to keep the bass numbers manageable or you will stunt their growth.

take out lots of bream and add some larger bass dont add smaller ones. and take out the smaller ones you catch only keep the bigguns and some small bream.

but if there is too much algae it could take out too much oxygen also.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 PM

My advice to you is if and when you decide to stock it talk to the DNR of your state and they will set you straight on how to properly stock your pond. This idea of only stocking big bass doesn't work because a) they are expensive and B) stocking fingerling bass does work but you just have to be patient.