Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

taurus raging bull 480

Old 12-29-2004, 08:47 AM

Default taurus raging bull 480

I am looking at the taurus 480 for deer hunting and would like some feedback on this gun if anyone has any. I have done some reserch between the taurus and the ruger. the features I like about the taurus are the key lock and the ported barrel to reduce recoil.the features I like about the ruger are ....... well its a ruger. no other explanation needed. any info on recoil and long term use of each of these firearms would be helpful.thanks ......docwv
Old 12-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: taurus raging bull 480

I bought the Ruger in .480 when it first hit the market.(impulse buy)lol The Taurus was not available then, but now that it is, I'd still go with the Ruger. Mainly because of the ported barrel. The recoil of the .480 is very manageable without a being ported and the muzzle-blast is much less. I'm not taking anything away for the Taurus, but I'd go with the Ruger because, like you said, "its a Ruger".
Old 12-30-2004, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Raging bull in .454 Casull and I love it I got it used though and it came scoped.

Do you plan to scope yours? If so the scope mount for the RB doesn't come with it and has a retail price of $ 49.00 ( blued or stainless)

Ruger on the other hand The SBH comes with the mounts and like has been said it's a Ruger

Muzzle blast with the ported barrel .... is loud without protection but that's another story with protection it's like anyother gun I've shot. I did get a pair of the electic muffs for Christmas and if I sit with it these will work fine but to try and stalk they amplify my steps to the point of that's all I hear. Not sure what I'd use to still hunt with it yet.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:50 PM

I have the Raging bull in .454 Casull and I love it I got it used though and it came scoped.

Do you plan to scope yours? If so the scope mount for the RB doesn't come with it and has a retail price of $ 49.00 ( blued or stainless)

Ruger on the other hand The SBH comes with the mounts and like has been said it's a Ruger

Muzzle blast with the ported barrel .... is loud without protection but that's another story with protection it's like anyother gun I've shot. I did get a pair of the electic muffs for Christmas and if I sit with it these will work fine but to try and stalk they amplify my steps to the point of that's all I hear. Not sure what I'd use to still hunt with it yet.

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few or the one

Yes Ne Hunter I am aware of the scope mount and rings not coming with the RB and yes I am planning on puting a scope on it. As for as the muzzle blast I am aware of that to as I hunt with a Remington 7mm STW rifle with a muzzle break on it. I allways try to shoot with an ear plug in my left ear due to the fact I shoot right handed and my left ear gets all the blast. Man is it loud when I forget it.

One of the other things that sways me toward the RB is the price. For about the same money as the Ruger alone I could have the RB with base, rings, and scope. The one thing that dose concern me is the long term use of the RB. I have heard that the frame on the Taurus guns have a habbit of cracking after a period of use. I am not sure what caliber or model guns they were talking about but that is just one of the things that I have heard. Thanks for all the info and if you or any one else has anymore info I would appreciate it.
Thanks Docwv
Old 12-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

I hope this never needs to be used but Taurus does have an unlimited lifetime repair or replace waranty. It's the Ford vs Chevy thing really I went to two local reputed shops when I was looking and one said to get the Ruger ( he had them in stock hmmmm) the other said get the Taurus ( he had to order either) As far as the cracking, it's the first I've heard of it . I do have a friend that has had his RB for quite some time and he feeds it those corbon roounds without any trouble. It might be an isolated thing just like Sakos barells on a small run.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry but the Raging Bull can't compare to the Ruger SBH.The ported barrel on the RB is a nice feature if you can handle the muzzle blast.I'm sure this has been corrected by now. A few years back a friend who worked in a gunshop mentioned the RB were having frame problems. Something to do with the cylinder locking in.The Rugers as mentioned come with rings for the intgral mounting system.The Ruger are probably the strongest guns in the market.Ruger stands behind their products. If something is wrong they fix it. I had a 10 year old Redhawk just about rebuilt at N/C.On another forum I read where Taurus's service isn't the greatest.Ruger is Made in the USA,where the Taurus is Made in Brazil.Before buying check out www.gunsamerica.com They have new and used Ruger SRH's.It might surprise you how much cheaper you can get the Ruger off that site. I have a SRH in 454 Casull which is real impressive. Mine has the 9 1/2" bbl. I wish I would have kept the 7 1/2" I had.The 9 1/2" is on the heavy side.On Taurus's defense I knew a guy that had several of the RB's in 44 mag and 454 Casull. He swore by them.I did notice on his RB where the scope mount was attached it bent the mounting rail.I wasn't impressed with that.Do as you see fit but I think you'd be better off with a Ruger over a Taurus.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to own a few Taurus handguns. Never had any problems with them other than the fact I didn't care for the sandpaper trigger stroke. However, if I were to buy a hunting revolver it would be a Ruger without a doubt. Why? It's a Ruger. It is better built and higher quality than a Taurus and when you figure prices the answer should be crystal clear. Ruger, Ruger, Ruger.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with Ruger. I came across a great deal on a Ragin Bull a couple of years ago and bought it. The gun shot well but I was just never completely happy with it so I sold it. Here are a few things I found with this gun:

1. The Taurus will not hold its value as well as the Ruger.

2. There are many more accessories and parts for the Ruger vs the Taurus and they are easier to find.

3. If you are planning on scoping the pistol: Have you looked at the scope mounts for the Taurus and compared them to Ruger? IMO they are nowhere near as strong as the Ruger system.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 AM

I've always believed that Ruger always err's on the side of 'Bigger is Better'. I own both Ruger and Taurus and don't have complaints with either. But IMHO, if you're buying something to last several generations, the Ruger will be up to the task.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 PM

Thanks for all the info. I still havent ordered anything but it wont be long. Ruger Redhawk I was wondering how the recoil is on the 454 I like my wrists and would rather not miss bow season because I baught a gun that I couldnt handle.lol. Thanks again for all the info.

Quick Reply: taurus raging bull 480

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.