Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

taurus raging bull 480

Old 01-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: taurus raging bull 480

Huntwv, the 454 with full power loads is a handful, but its not unmanageable. It really depends on how you handle it personally. I know guys that are 5'5" and 140lbs that shoot the 454 with no problems and have heard of guys that are 6'5" and 300lbs that are scared to death at the thought of to shooting one the second time. The 454's recoil is very "snappy" and some people can't handle that kind of quick jolt. I guess the only true way for you to see if its for you is to find someone that has one and shoot it and then you'll know.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

huntwv, sorry I was gone for a few days, The 454 is a handful but for most quite manageable.Not knowing how recoil effect you it's hard to say in your case.If you do buy one I suggest putting either Pachmyers or Hogues on it.It makes a big difference.I heard something not long ago. If it's ture or not I don't know. Supposedly someone gave a young kid a 454 Casull to shoot.When it recoiled it came back and hit the kid in the head which he died from.If you have your doubts try one before buying it.I really don't think you'll have a problem with it,but you'll have to decide if it's for you or not.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-11-2005, 02:33 PM

Thanks Ruger Redhawk and all the others that have posted due to my asking. I asked about the 454 without intentions of buying that caliber of gun. I am as you know looking at the 480 and thought if I had information about the 454 it would atleast give me an Idea of what I would be up against with the 480. The next question is should I go with the 480 or the 44 mag. I will be using it for deer hunting and I guess just the sound of (480) made my heart pump. I like to be different and I guess it has a little to do with having the biggest hand gun on the block. I dont do alot of hand gunning but I have shot them several times. For me the 44 mag is very manageable and I thought if I could handle it, then the 480 shouldnt be a problem either. Again thanks for all the posts and any more info would be helpful.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Typical Buck

huntwv, I bought a Ruger SRH in .480 when they first hit the market. Like you, I wanted the next greatest thing, but quickly realized it was a mistake. Back then, the only factory ammo for it was from Hornady and was running about a dollar a shot and there was only one factory load for it.(325gr XTP). I took two deer with it the first year and it performed well, but after taking a good look, a 44mag would have done just as well. The 44mag has many more factory/handloads for it and are much easier to find. If you're only going to deerhunt with it, go with the 44mag. Its easier on the wallet and will do just fine on whitetails. If you're set on getting a .480, don't worry about the recoil. Its milder than the .454 and not near as loud on report. Good luck.

Carter
Old 01-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huntwv, The 44 mag is more then capable for deer.To practice shooting you can shoot the 44 spl.I don't know if you're aware in the 454 Casull you can shoot the time proven 45 Colt.I'm sure others have it also but in the Speer reloading manual there is a section for hot loads for the Ruger's and T/C's.45 Colt is a popular round and gaining ground everyday. You might consider the 45 Colt.The 480 Ruger is the only cartridge that can be fired in it.As mentioned it's not the cheapest to shoot and not the best selection of bullets.You have allot to think about before plopping your money down. I personally put a 41 mag as a min for deer size game.In the 41 mag you don't have much of a selection of bullets and can only shoot the 41 mag cartridge.If I were in your shoes I think I would go with a 44 mag Redhawk or Super Redhawk.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-12-2005, 06:32 PM

Definitely nothing wrong with a SRH in 44 mag, I love mine, and its recoil doesnt bother me at all (and I'm 15, 5'9 145lbs)
Old 01-12-2005, 07:40 PM

Thanks again guys. Sounds to me like the 44 mag is the gun of choice. I do reload everything I shoot so cost for shooting is only an arm instead of an arm and a leg. Its the start of reloading a new caliber that costs. I will be going out this weekend to look at some pistols and maybe test fire a few to help me make up my mind. There is only one shop near West Virginia that I know of that will let me test fire before I buy. Trouble is the shop is in Maryland and I am in Wv. He cant sell me a pistol. If anyone knows of any shops in Wv. that does this type of thing could you let me know. Thanks again for all the help and have a good day.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

huntwv, I hope you can find a shop that lets you shoot them.Down my way I don't know of any that do.They might if it were a used firearm but definately not a new firearm.That also depends if they have a range or not.I think you'd be more then satisfied with a 44 mag.You're making a smart move not getting the 480 Ruger.I threw the idea around when getting my SRH 454Casull.I liked the option of using the 454 Casull or the 45Colt in the same gun.The 480 Ruger will eventually become popular most likely.The 44 mag has proven itself over the last 50 years.No matter what caliber you finally decide on ,go with one of the Ruger's.There is no comparison between an American made Ruger and foreign made Taurus.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger SRH, no doubt about it. The Taurus is an OK handgun, but the Ruger is much better.

And about recoil, two words; Shooting Gloves! Man, I can't tell you the difference they made with my Super Redhawk .454. That thing was a monster with the 300grain loads, but the gloves made a world of difference. I don't know how the .454 Casull compares to the .480 Ruger, as I've never shot the .480. I have, however, shot the .500 S&W several times and can say that the recoil from the Model 500 feels LESS than the .454 Casull. The brake has a big part in that, and the somewhat lower velocity. The .454 Casull, as mentioned, has a VERY sharp recoil impulse, far quicker than any other handgun I've ever fired, but with practice, and the aid of a glove at the range, it isn't impossible to master. Just hold it at arms length and hang on and you'll be fine. If you limp wrist it, it'll make you pay.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 01-15-2005, 08:09 PM

Well I have to say Thanks to everyone for helping me in making a decision on a new pistol. I called a man today that I met at a gun show last week and asked him if he had any guns I could shoot and a place to shoot them. As it turns out he only lives about 20 minuets from me and he told me to come on over. Man did he have some pistols. I shot both the 44 and the 480. After all the shooting was over I decided on the SRH 44. I liked the 480 but for what I want to do the 44 was an excelent choice and I will be able to reload more for the 44 then the 480. I cant tell you guys how much I appriciate all the help you have given me on this subject and I hope some day I will be able to help you guys out in return......Thanks again,Huntwv

Quick Reply: taurus raging bull 480

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.