Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II? >

Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II?

Old 12-22-2004, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II?

Ok guys heres the deal....I just treated myseld to a Knight Extreme .50 to replace my older Knight BK-92. After the new year I will get a scope for it, already know the power...3-9X40 so which scope the Nikon Monarch or the Leupold VX-II?

I have 2 Leupolds...1 VX-III 3.5-10X50 on my .300win mag, and I do have the VX-II 3-9X40 on my 12ga. slug gun

I have 1 Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 on my Older Knight

All these scopes I love, never looked into the Monarchs.....I know of Leupolds reputation, customer service, warrenty....what about Nikon's?

Thanks Guys, and Happy Holidays to you all
Old 12-22-2004, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II?

Your doing an injustice comparing the VX-II with the MOnarch..you should compare the VX-III and I still like the MOnarch better and its 150 bucks cheaper in comparable scopes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with him.

I like the Nikon.

hunter338
Old 12-22-2004, 07:28 AM
Spike

I have been shooting a vari-x III 1.5 - 5 on my old 30-30 Savage pump for many years. In fact, I get ragged on because the scope cost over twice more than I paid for that old carbine. I like the Leupold scope a lot. However, I just bought my son a Ruger in 17 cal. for Christmas and he wanted a silver scope to match the stainless barrel. I found what I thought was a better deal on a Nikon vs a Leupold of equal optics at a local gun show so I bought the Nikon. I've got to admit that the Nikon scope is a very precision scope. I guess you can't go wrong with either but I think the Nikon actually has more clarity than my Leupold.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said I have both Leupolds, and a Nikon and I do Love them all, even that Nikon bein a lower model ( Buckmaster ) then the Monarch is clear and crisp.

How would you guys compare customer service from each company? Leupold from what I hear is fantasic, if you have a problem with the scope they either fix it, or replace it no questions asked....not sure if Nikon is like that.

Price for both are about the same, so $$$ isnt an issue
Old 12-22-2004, 07:43 AM
Spike

I have never had a problem with my Leupold so I can't answer for their customer service. I have used Nikon camera's for many years and have had excellent customer service with them. I can only imagine their scope line would also follow suit.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhuntercop...I don't know of anyone personally that has sent a Nikon in for repair. I understand they have a great repair program that per other websites(internet hearsay). .
Old 12-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon Monarch hands down. It's a much better scope than the VX-II in terms of features and optics, it's on par or slightly better than the VX-III, but costs a lot less. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

And for those who brag up Leupold's customer service as a primary reason to buy their scopes, consider this... if the scope is worth the top dollar that you'll spend on it, then you should never need the service in the first place. Instead buying a product because you know the company will fix it when it breaks, buy a product that you can be fairly assured will never need service. And in the event your Nikon Monarch scope ever does have problems, you can send it in to be fixed under warranty as well, but you'll probably never have to. It might take a little longer, and they probably won't give you freebies or upgrades (which is passed on to everyone else), but you'll get your scope fixed.

I think that might be part of the reason that Leupolds cost so much, because they're passing the cost of all the free repairs they do every time some careless moron bangs his scope off a boulder or tree trunk down to the rest of us.

Leupolds are good scopes, but they aren't worth what Leupold wants for them. You're paying for a name and for the "free" repairs they hand out like candy. I own two Monarchs and love them both. I've never owned a Leupold because I refuse to pay more for nothing. If someone gave me a Leupold, or I found one that was priced competitively with other COMPARABLE scopes, then I'd definately take it. As long as Leupold demands 125% or more compared to their competitiors products, they can keep them; I'll buy a better Nikon or top end Bushnell and never regret it.

Mike
Old 12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Spike

I'll have to agree with you driftrider. The only reason I bought my vari-x III 1.5 - 5 scope years ago was because the gunshop was going out of business. He had this scope for five years and couldn't sell it so he sold it to me for 75% of the price just to get rid of it. I guess you can say I legally stole it. I've had it for over ten years now and it is still going strong but wouldn't have it if I had to pay the regular price.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know much about Nikon other than their cameras are top shelf.

I like Leupold scopes, I have enough of them (M8, VX-II, (2)VX-III's).
I have the VX-II 3x9x40 on a .270 Rem. Nice setup.
I've only had one issue two years ago with a Leupold were I needed to return the scope. This was with an old used M8 4x that I bought at a garage sale. The scope leaked after getting knocked really hard when my sling on my shotgun came loose and the gun dropped scope down into a log. Scope worked for the rest of the season, but leaked sometime during the following year.
Leupold replaced the entire scope. No questions asked.

I also like the Zeiss Conquest and Burris Signature and Euro Diamond Series with Posi-Lock.
In fact, after the 1st of the year I'll be ordering a another Burris Euro Diamond with Posi-Lock, this one for a Muzzleloader in 1.5x6x40.

My .02

Quick Reply: Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-II?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.