Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Made decision, bought pistol >

Made decision, bought pistol

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Made decision, bought pistol

Old 08-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Made decision, bought pistol

I have looked at and handled more pistols than I can list, and after much deliberation, I bought a CZ 75 B today. Academy was the only one locally that kept them in stock, and the 9mm version was $389. I'm not sure when I'll make it to the country to test it out, but I'll update as soon as I can.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Made decision, bought pistol

I made it to the country this weekend with the CZ and a couple hundred rounds of CCI Blazer ammo ($3.86/box). I shotfour hundred rounds, with three failures to eject. As for accuracy, the gun is much more accurate than I am. In capable hands, it would probably shoot at about a 2" group at 20 yards. About the best I could do was kill a soda can at that distance.

As far as trigger pull, the double action is a little heavy. But it's tolerable. When fired in single action, it is much more like a rifle trigger, except there is a little more slack to take up than my rifles. The gun has three dot night sights, but they go dim fairly quickly. I like the grip angle and size, as it fits my hand well and points naturally.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:46 PM

CZ makes a great pistol at a great price. Im sure Ill get around to buying one when I run out of build projects, next pistol will be a HiPower MKIII in .40 for me, then a Beretta 92 Vertec after that.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm partial to Glock 75's,

http://www.glockfag.com/models.htm
Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

did you look at the Springfield XD9? I couldn't find a better pistol at the price point.

3 FTE's isn't that good in 400 rounds. I don't want to rain on your parade, but hopefully after your gun breaks in you won't see that anymore. However, if you do, that's way to many. I have put over 1700 rounds thru my XD, using all different kinds of ammo (even the Walmart WWB) and never had a single FTF or FTE. I didn't even clean it until about 1000 rounds. CCI ammo is usually the "good" stuff too. So you may want to watch that and keep testing that gun.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good gun. I wouldn't worry about your problems till after you put about 1000 rounds throught it. I consider that a breaking in point. I'm sure many will disagree with me.Nice gun though.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: semi

did you look at the Springfield XD9? I couldn't find a better pistol at the price point.

3 FTE's isn't that good in 400 rounds. I don't want to rain on your parade, but hopefully after your gun breaks in you won't see that anymore. However, if you do, that's way to many. I have put over 1700 rounds thru my XD, using all different kinds of ammo (even the Walmart WWB) and never had a single FTF or FTE. I didn't even clean it until about 1000 rounds. CCI ammo is usually the "good" stuff too. So you may want to watch that and keep testing that gun.
Amen man, the XD9 is a great gun.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I considered the XD, but the best I could do around here was still $70 higher.Nothing against theXD, butI still prefer steel to polymer and I like a heavier gun. Also, I was told it would put me in a different class for competitive shooting because it is considered single action.

Thats a good gun. I wouldn't worry about your problems till after you put about 1000 rounds throught it. I consider that a breaking in point. I'm sure many will disagree with me.Nice gun though.
I'm not real worried about the FTE's. All three were within the first 150 or so rounds. And the CCI ammo I was using is simply the cheapest money can buy, even utilizing aluminum cases. In all three instances, the spent case was extracted from the chamber, but was caught by the slide on the return stroke. I'm guessing after I fire it enough to get the chamber and recoil spring broken in, it will go away. The aluminum cases probably didn't help, since they expand and don't spring back like brass. In any event, just pulling out the half-ejected case was all that was required, so not a big deal in any event. If it still does it after a thousand or so rounds with quality ammo or handloads, then I might start to worry.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:24 AM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

I considered the XD, but the best I could do around here was still $70 higher.Nothing against theXD, butI still prefer steel to polymer and I like a heavier gun. Also, I was told it would put me in a different class for competitive shooting because it is considered single action.

I'm not real worried about the FTE's. All three were within the first 150 or so rounds. And the CCI ammo I was using is simply the cheapest money can buy, even utilizing aluminum cases. In all three instances, the spent case was extracted from the chamber, but was caught by the slide on the return stroke. I'm guessing after I fire it enough to get the chamber and recoil spring broken in, it will go away. The aluminum cases probably didn't help, since they expand and don't spring back like brass. In any event, just pulling out the half-ejected case was all that was required, so not a big deal in any event. If it still does it after a thousand or so rounds with quality ammo or handloads, then I might start to worry.
If anything, the aluminum cases will let you practice your rack-tap-bang technique, I think if you want a good reliable range round that is pretty cheap you should look into sellier & bellot. A little dirtier than others, but still good and the brass is boxer primed so its good if you do a lot of reloading. I use Winchester White Box exclusively unless the store is out, then I go with other brands, but Im always on the lookout for a bargain. Kinda hard though when you have to pay hazmat fees to get ammo online.