Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter.. >

Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter..

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter..

Old 11-25-2004, 07:14 AM

Default Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter..

which of these two would be a better choice?--I'm looking at buying 338 mag. ive narrowed it down to a choice of 4-- the two from weatherby and the other two are model 70 win. and then last browning A-bolt medallian. --Being the Mark V is the most expspensive on list, Vangaurd being (believe it or not) cheapest of them all. Thanks for any insight.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter..

i would get the vanguard. they give you a preshot target and are guaranteed to shoot a 1 1/2" 3-shot group at 100 yards from a cold barrel. same as the mark V. and the weatherby isn't known for accuracy but they say that the vanguards are pretty accurate.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Vangard is not made by Weatherby, but rather by Howa for Weatherby and carries the Weatherby name. They are still nice rifles, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The Mk V is Weatherby's own in house rifle, and costs a lot more.

As far as the accuracy guarantee, 1 1/2 MOA at 100 yards isn't all that impressive, especially for a rifle that costs as much as the Mark V. For the Vangard it is reasonable for the cost of the rifle, but not especially remarkable. The Mark V also have their 9-lug bolt pattern, which seems like it'd be really great until you consider that it is highly unlikely that Weatherby took the time and effort necessary to true up all nine lugs so they bear evenly. Most manufacturers can't get the lugs to bear eveny and completely on a standard 2-lug bolt design, but a 'smith can easily lap and true up a two lug bolt for less than $200. See if your local gunsmith will lap and true up the lugs on a Mk V for that much. I'm guessing he'd almost laugh at you.

Consider that Sako's rifles are every bit as good as the Weatherby Mk V's, are in the same $1000+ price category, and are guaranteed (with a target to prove it) to shoot 1" FIVE SHOT groups at 100 yards , right out of the box. Tikka's (which are also made by Sako in the same factory) also have the 1", 5-shot guarantee, and aren't too much more than the Vangard.

I look at it this way, if you are going to spend $1000+ on a rifle (as you would with the Mark V), you should not settle for anything less than the best. If it were me I would go with the Sako 75 over the Mark V any day. In fact, I have a Sako 75 in 7mmSTW with my name on it on layaway at Scheel's right now. It was a deal I just couldn't pass up.

Mike
Old 11-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the money the Vanguard will shoot great...
Old 11-26-2004, 09:26 PM

rider brings up a great point, if you want to spend that much get the sako or if you like a single shot get a copper then you could say you have the best.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vangaurd being (believe it or not) cheapest of them all.

I can believe it since the vanguard isnt actually a weatherby, They are made by legacy sports which also makes Howa rifles and puma rifles. The howa rifles are awesome in the accuracy dept. Id imagine the vanguards are just as accurate.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are made by legacy sports which also makes Howa rifles and puma rifles.
Howa manufactures the rifles while legacy sports imports and distributes them.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:29 PM

Ah -what a trip, found what i was looking for, Ruger M77R MarkII , Even though it wasnt one on the list. friend had one--what luck--. lil more then browning, but feels just perfect.--now have to wait till spring, but it gives me something to look forward to. thnks for all
Old 11-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

quote:

They are made by legacy sports which also makes Howa rifles and puma rifles.

Howa manufactures the rifles while legacy sports imports and distributes them.
Yea I wasnt to sure how it went, but figured i was in the general ball park of how that company does it. thanks for the correction
Old 11-29-2004, 03:06 PM

I guess I'm trouble, i asked a couple of friends about my wanting a 338, now im really stuck, the yesterday fired ruger, then today had a winchester 'pop in' for a test fire. --they both feel great and as far as weight goes, not bad either. hit bullseye dead on with both. But unfortunely maybe it's my downfall--accuracy is the utmost concern-tac driving(so to speek) is what im wanting to be able to do. Priced between 6-800$ +/- a few. I guess a gun show is what I'm gonna have to visit, are a larger dealer for a compareison of all. So much to chose from, i'm stuck----then after becoming bewildered i had to go and fire my browning just to make more noise-and destroy the poor target

Quick Reply: Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.