HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Semi-Auto Pistol, Range/Deer gun.. Suggestions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/77272-semi-auto-pistol-range-deer-gun-suggestions.html)

Ajax 10-27-2004 03:06 PM

Semi-Auto Pistol, Range/Deer gun.. Suggestions?

I'm looking for a Semi Auto Pistol. This will be my first and only pistol so I want something a little versitle. I'm looking for something in the $400-$500 range. I would like to use this gun mostly for target shooting but possibly for deer hunting as well?

Any suggestions as to a Make/Model/Caliber would be very helpful?

Thanks!

frizzellr 10-27-2004 03:28 PM

RE: Semi-Auto Pistol, Range/Deer gun.. Suggestions?

Well your choice is pretty limited if you insist on deer hunting with a semiauto pistol. You are looking at a Desert Eagle in 44 Rem Mag or 50 AE. I doubt either one is in your price range. The only other thing I can think of is a glock in 10mm.

HighDesertWolf 10-27-2004 03:32 PM

get a ruger GP100 357 mag with a 6 inch barrel. for target shooting you can use 38 specials and for hunting deer use a 357 mag with that 6 inch barrel you should beable to make a accurate shot to 50 yards, with a pistol keep your shots 50 yards and under. these run at right about 400 dollars. well that one is a revolver , but you are wanting a semi auto correct? for a semi auto they are all fine for target shooting and self defense but for hunting is where you will run into less desirable performance, I would recommend a government model 1911 .45 ACP but like most semi autos you will be limited to shots 25 yards and under. You can get a decent springfield 1911 for around 400 to 500 bucks. good luck

icthruu 10-27-2004 04:32 PM

I think about the only one that meets those requirements would be a 1911 .45acp, I have seen deer killed with those to about 50 yards. Desert eagle will give you more power for hunting, but I don't know what those cost. Used to be a company that made a 1911 style in some different calibers, .357mag ect. but I don't know the name, or even if they are still around. Probably for what you want to spend you could get a nice revolver that would work well for both. I have a ruger blackhawk .45 colt that is fun to shoot at the range, and with handloads gives me enough power for whitetails.

TScottW99 10-27-2004 05:17 PM

The Glock 20 in 10mm would be perfect. Granted the ammo can be a little expensive for a range gun but it fits the deer gun perfect. Now if you reload it is even better, the 10mm can be loaded to the .40S&W class or on up to the .41mag class.

http://www.doubletapammo.com makes some excellent hunting rounds for the 10mm.

Briman 10-27-2004 06:22 PM

$400-$500 range.
I would forget about the autoloader for deer hunting. In that price range you will not find an autoloader that is both powerful and accurate enough for deer hunting. Check your state laws on minimum andgun requirements, a .45 auto is not a legal hunting caliber in my state and for good enough reason.

For that price range, you should be able to pick up a Ruger, Taurus or maybe a used S&W revolver in .44 magnum for hunting.

TScottW99 10-27-2004 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Briman

$400-$500 range.
I would forget about the autoloader for deer hunting. In that price range you will not find an autoloader that is both powerful and accurate enough for deer hunting.
Actually a Glock 20 can be had for that price and is plenty accurate. Top Glock has brand new Glock 20's for $484 http://www.topglock.com/catalog/pistols.htm He also sales 6" hunting barrels for the Glock 20. Double Tab Ammo sales 10 mm hunting ammo as does Corbon http://www.corbon.com that has plenty of power. Top Glock also sells mounts and optics for the Glock 20.

Ajax 10-29-2004 12:18 AM

Ok, I guess if I want to hunt with this gun... the Semi-Auto is out of the question! I did look at a few of the larger caliber semi auto's and there way over my price range. I do, however, really like the feel of the Ruger GP revolvers. They seem to fit me like a glove!

My next question... Is the 357mag a decent caliber to deer hunt with? The redhawk is a little over what I really want to spend but they come in 44 Rem. mag and 45 colt... the GP 100's only come in 357 and 38 caliber. Most of my deer hunting is over bait and shots are usually within 40 yards anyways.

Is the Ruger GP 100 in 357 with the 6" barrel a capable gun to deer hunt with for shots out to 40 yards?

driftrider 10-29-2004 12:37 AM

I'm going to stand with Briman on this one. There just really aren't any "do-it-all" semi-auto pistols. Semi-auto pistols tend to be fairly specialized in their design, so you won't find one to do everything you want in one cheap compact package. Most semi-auto pistols are designed to be defensive weapons for taking down two-legged critters at close range. These defensive handguns are not, and never have been, intended as a hunting pistol. Defensive handguns are made to be, first and foremost, reliable. Accuracy and power are secondary. (If your gun doesn't go bang, you lose, and it's better to hit a target with a 9mm than miss with a .44 Mag). But for hunting, the opposite is true, accuracy and sufficient firepower are paramount, because we have the luxury of picking our shots, or not shooting at all, and our target animal isn't shooting back. And since the power levels of most semi-auto handguns are inadequate or marginal for deer sized game at best, shot placement is absolutely critical. Secondly, most defensive handguns have fixed sights regulated to be fairly close usually at about 25 yards, which is considered long range for a defensive combat encounter. But I'd argue that fairly close is not good enough when taking an optional shot on a game animal.

Of course, there is the option of stepping up to the Desert Eagle in .357Mag, .44Mag or .50AE. All will do the job well (some would argue that the .357 is a little light, but that's another topic). Of course, you're going to spend a bit more than you want to for such a gun, and it's not exactly a plinker either, but it'd be more than enough gun for deer hunting.

I think that your best bet is to reconsider what you want out of the gun and set your priorities. The first place to start would be to rethink the semi-auto requirement. Semi-autos are, for all practical purposes, not good hunting guns. You will be much better served by a 6"+ revolver in a caliber such as .357Mag, .41Mag or .44Mag, such as a Ruger Blackhawk, Redhawk or Super Blackhawk. Or if you want a real slugger, there is the option of .454 Casull (can also shoot .45Colt), .480Ruger or .500 S&W (a real bruiser to be sure). Sure, a revolver won't give you the high speed ***BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBAN G*** thrills of a semi-auto, but it will put a bullet accurately where you want it and have plenty of power to spare when the bullet gets there.

Mike

HighDesertWolf 10-29-2004 07:19 PM

Is the Ruger GP 100 in 357 with the 6" barrel a capable gun to deer hunt with for shots out to 40 yards?
I have taken 3 deer with my GP100 6 inch barrel, my longest shot was 50 yards +/- 3 or 4 yards. my others, one was a 10 yard shot, another right around 20 yards. the 50 yard deer was shot with a American Eagle 158 grain soft points, double lung shot ran about 60 yards before it exspired. the others were shot with hand loads pushing a 158 grain hornady XTP's over 15.2 grains of Alliant 2400 with a chronographed velocity of 1531 fps, the 10 yard deer dropped like a ton of bricks the 20 yard deer took 4 steps into a run then the front legs gave out and collapsed.

A friend of mine also has the same gun and has taken a doe at 40 or so yards, with winchester 158 grain semi jacketed hollow points. that deer didnt even realize it was shot he said it stood in the same spot for about 20 seconds then collapsed.

The only thing i would watch out for with a 357 mag is shoulder shots especially with factory loaded ammo, in most cases it just doesnt have enough juice to blow through a shoulder blade like a 44 mag, even with my screamin handloads I avoid the shoulder but there are plenty of other spots to shoot a deer that the 357 mag will work quite well. In my opinion you cant go wrong with a GP100 with the 6 inch barrel. good luck