HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Hunting pistols (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/75465-hunting-pistols.html)

Sharp Shooter 10-11-2004 06:37 AM

Hunting pistols

What are some good hunting pistols? Here in colorado the load must produce a minimum energy of 550 at 50 yards. What are some good pistols that you think are good for hunting with?

ktscontender 10-11-2004 07:07 AM

RE: Hunting pistols

T/C Contender or Encore

dvdegeorge 10-11-2004 10:33 AM

Savage Super Striker,bolt action and very accurate.

T/C fan! 10-11-2004 03:42 PM

Obviously, I agree with kts on the T/C's. The number of available calibers are almost unlimited and they are as accurate as a pistol gets.

Sharp Shooter 10-11-2004 03:49 PM

I want to know what you guys perfer and like the best for hunting pistols as in Caliber wise.

T/C fan! 10-11-2004 04:39 PM

"what caliber"? It depends on what you'll be hunting and what ranges you'll be shooting. With T/C's line of pistol barrels, ALL is covered. 22lr for the small critters and up to a 450 Marlin for the biggest of them.[8D]

cherokee_outfitters 10-11-2004 07:32 PM

If your only pistol hunting then I also believe a T/C is a good choice. You choose a caliber like the 30-30, 450 marlin, 7-30 waters, 308. All of these will have alot more ft lbs of energy vs. a standard revolver cartridge. But that all depends on you intentions on just how high tech you want to go in pistol hunting. If I'm going to carry a pistol that has a 12" barrel and a scope and fits in a holster that covers have my body then to me it makes more sense to just carry my rifle. Now on the other hand if i'm going hunting with just my revolver which is lighter and less akward to carry, it puts you in the bowhunters playground with alittle more distance on your shot.

If you want a caliber that is an all around hunting revolver cartridge then I would say it goes to the 44mag. Ammo is easy to find and it has a alot of bullet weights to choose from. 454 casull are for those that like recoil and have the manpower to be accurate with them. My personal choice is the 41mag.

dvdegeorge 10-12-2004 03:03 AM

7mm08,exellent cal in pistol or rifle.

KYBucgrunter 10-12-2004 05:44 AM

Savage Striker in .260 Rem. I got one this spring and I found out last week it puts the hammer to them wts

ktscontender 10-12-2004 06:20 AM

Strictly on the Contenders, for blacktail hunting I used a 7-30 waters or 30-30 both have dropped deer in thier tracks, and I imagine these would work just as well on white tails.

For elk I used a 445 Super mag. tho I believe one of the larger JDJ calibers would probably be better suited. Unfortunatly the one time I actually drew a tag for elk I came up bust on the hunt. IF I ever draw another one I think I'll go with an old 45-70

I don't own an Encore as of yet but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to put a 308 bbl on it and go hunting for either animal.

With either of these guns the possibilities are almost endless caliber wise.
And, the main thing......A Whole Lotta Fun!!