Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New Ruger P 345

Old 08-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Ruger P 345

I looked at a new Ruger P 345 today, it is their new 45 ACP, with a new look (slide and Frame). I liked it. I was wondering if anyone had seen any reviews on it yet? It must be good, its a Ruger.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:15 PM

Default RE: New Ruger P 345

I have not shot one yet. I love the feel of the pistol, it feels complety differnt then any other Ruger semi I have ever held. Though I do not like the magazine disconnect. Unlike the S&W or Hi-Power disconnect, which gives a differn't/ non-existent trigger pull when the magazine is out. The Ruger trigger will still operate the same & sound the same. To me this could be a huge problem in a life or death situation. You could be pulling the trigger, getting the regular trigger pull feel and nice little "click" yet no bang. Could cost you several valuable seconds trying to figure out what was wrong.

I would suggest a lot of tap & rack practice if you bought this pistol.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:19 AM

Ruger's revolvers are excellent but I do not care for their auto's. My opinion only; save up the extra few bucks and buy any of the higher quality auto's (everyone has opinions; S&W, Browning, Beretta, Glock, SIG, H&K, Walther). Although not a junk gun like Highpoint or Larson I still would not place the Ruger auto's in the same class with the brands mentioned above. Whatever you do enjoy it.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I've not handled one yet. I've had many different 45's my primary carry weapon in a Ruger 97D.
Here's where I'll differ from the previously two post. For concealed carry I've never heard of a citizen ever having to reload. If one mag doesn't do it I want to know how you put yourself in such a situation and you haven't practiced and plan on missing aot?
Second Ruger might not give hardball match accuracy but is every bit as good as any of the other guns mentioned but just don't cost as much and aren't as pretty. I've a friend recently retired Marine Sgt. with experience in Grenada,Panama,and Desert Storm with time in the artic circle in Norway. His choice of 45 is the Ruger. They always go bang and feed anything you put into them without a hiccup.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:35 AM

Every one has opinions and all should be respected. I mean no offense toward Ruger auto owners out there. I have worked on a few Ruger auto's and with a recoil spring upgrade and polishing the feed ramp they have shown to be reliable. Ruger's seem to have an awful ammount of machining marks left on them, including the feed ramp, and I simply do not like the way they must be disassembled; just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, they look like Hi-points with metal parts.
Has internal safety lock.
Has magazine disconnect.
No chance of ever getting hi-cap magazines for it.
[:'(]

For the money I'd much rather get a .40 Browning Highpower or maybe a Colt 1991.