Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Henry Single Shot Rifles >

Henry Single Shot Rifles

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Henry Single Shot Rifles

Old 09-15-2017, 06:48 AM
Spike

Question Henry Single Shot Rifles

I've been shooting a H&R Ultra 20 ga. for years with a Burris 2.75X EER scope, and I love it. I got it in my head to find a single shot centerfire rifle big enough to hunt deer and black bear with. H&R doesn't look like the same company today that it was when I bought the 20ga, so unless somebody knows something I don't, I am not going to deal with them. Ruger 1's and Brownings are out of my price range, and then I read about the Henry.
It comes in 308 which would do what I want, but I would love to hear from someone that has bought one.
Thanks for your time.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have thought about 45-70 single shot. Pick the caliber you want. Not sure company status.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like them but lets be realistic. A CVA Scout V2 is stainless with a 22" barrel plus muzzle brake (For some models)for a couple bucks less. . You can get camo/black stocks in both TH and standard for additional cost. They even have youth stocks.

CVA Hunter in blued has a 25" barrel and can be found for around $250 and sometimes less.

Both are available in 45/70 btw if you are looking for a cheap thumper.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-16-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I was ever to buy a single shot rifle, it would be a Ruger # 1, even if I had to save for a year or so to buy one. They are well made, shoot well and hold their value if taken care of.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

single shot 45-70 with peep or iron sights would be a nice atv or bounce around in truck rifle.

For 45-70, not sure I want to shoot Ruger 1 loads. I hunt close range, so #1, may not do me much good.

Though the triggers on some of the singles are stiff. As is my new marlin 1895. Wish they would do some modern triggers at the factory.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

CVA used to make a Apex lineup of single shots. A few are still around. All stainless and adjustable triggers which are pretty nice actually. They were selling for around $550 very recently. Breach diameter was also a beefy 1.1". Thats larger than the T/C single shots.

I would be very interested in the new Henry though if they offered a 3-4" longer barrel 45/70 and if i knew the breach diameter was at least 1.1".

BTW it appears the Henry single shots just started shipping this month so its unlikely you will find many reviews from actual owners.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-16-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

No experience with Henry's, but they do look like well built firearms.

If you're looking for a quality single shot and are willing to spend a little extra, I highly recommend looking into the Thompson/Center Encore platform. Even with factory offerings, you have many different calibers to choose from.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

It's on the cheaper side, but....

I've bought and messed around with several handi rifles this summer.

All shot very well.

One had an ejection issue, but I took it apart, cleaned it good, and had no problems after that.

The only one I kept was a .243 and I kept it for shooting ground hogs out the back window primarily. But they were fun to play with. And the most I spent was $200 on a like new .243 with synthetic stock. I got others for as low as $125. Can't really beat that from a cost factor. But there are certainly better and nicer singles out there.

One good thing about the handi rifles is they have a very large and loyal following online. So information, parts etc is very easily available through a few different forums.

-Jake
Old 09-16-2017, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

Are we all talking same thing? H&R is Harrington & Richardson, they make single shot rifles. Henry is known for lever action, and some pump 22s. Maybe they make singles. Dunno.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
CVA used to make a Apex lineup of single shots. A few are still around. All stainless and adjustable triggers which are pretty nice actually. They were selling for around $550 very recently. Breach diameter was also a beefy 1.1". Thats larger than the T/C single shots.

nrs.
For me the reasons for a single shot would be a stout and accurate Ruger #1, or knock around gun, possibly weight for carrying. Though lots of light rifles out there.

At this point for me, hunting deep woods, a knock around rifle would be more handi. $550 is more than I would want to spend for that purpose. Maybe if for light weight rifle for humping bush.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.