Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Mossberg Patriot 7mm Rem Mag >

Mossberg Patriot 7mm Rem Mag

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg Patriot 7mm Rem Mag

Old 01-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg Patriot 7mm Rem Mag

My wife picked got me this gun for Christmas, and after putting a few boxes through it, I thought I'd sit down and write up a little review on it.
First things first, the price. $360. I thought this was an extremely fair price for a synthetic stock rifle. At 8lbs, it feels good. And with the cheek rest molded in to the stock, you get the feeling you're holding a 6,7,8 hundred dollar gun.
Some other cool features; the adjustable trigger, believe it was 2-6lbs of adjustment (put mine down to 2lbs)
So I am a pretty big guy, 6-2" 285lbs. I've shot my fair share of rifles, from a .223-.270, 30-06 to a .338 ultra mag.
I wanted a rifle with a good bullet selection, something that wouldn't break the bank, and was accurate.
The 7mag, in my opinion, is one of the best all around calibers. I can go out and knock down some coyotes, hunt deer and antelope, or go after some elk or moose. To be able to use one rifle, for pretty much everything is pretty cool.
The recoil on this rifle, is no more than a 2 3/4 12g shotgun. I was pretty set back the first time I shot it. I was anticipating a little bump, it is a mag and all. But it was nothing. If that is a concern for any of you out there looking at maybe a 7 mag, if you can handle a 12g you will be fine.
So, I slapped on a Vortex scope and hit the range. 100yrds, first 3 shot groups were on top of each other, made the adjustment and dead center. This went on all the way to 400yrds.
So to sum it all up, if you're looking for a great all around rifle, that's easy on the wallet, easy on the shoulder and super accurate; you would not be disappointed with the Mossberg Patriot 7 mag.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great write up and glad the rifle makes you happy, as it sounds like it's a winner, especially at that price! Here is a link to another rather lengthy review of that rifle that was in the NRA Rifleman magazine, including some nice pictures and they say around $500, so you got a good deal:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...patriot-rifle/

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-02-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Add On
Old 01-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was pleasantly impressed by a Mossberg a few years ago when a guy at our local range was having obvious issues zeroing his new rifle.

If I were a rich man, I might be compelled to purchase a fleet of low cost rifles like the American, 700 ADL (or even Mod 7), Axis, Axiom, etc all in the same cartridge and just do a range day to see if any of them DIDN'T shoot well.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I was pleasantly impressed by a Mossberg a few years ago when a guy at our local range was having obvious issues zeroing his new rifle.

If I were a rich man, I might be compelled to purchase a fleet of low cost rifles like the American, 700 ADL (or even Mod 7), Axis, Axiom, etc all in the same cartridge and just do a range day to see if any of them DIDN'T shoot well.

I believe you would find (at a public range) that all of those "entry level" rifles would out shoot the shooter.

Meaning, if a true marksmen was to shoot those same rifles with the same ammo, all would shoot near MOA
Old 03-11-2017, 07:03 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

FWIW I recently bought my GF a Patriot in .243. $500 OTD with a 3-9x scope.

With inexpensive Herters ammo (Sellier and Bellot?) it put five shots into 3/4" at 100 yards. WooHoo!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

I too have handled these at the shop and liked em in wood.Just didn,t want to pay for the cheap scope that was on it.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mossberg IMO is a company that doesn't really get the recognition it deserves. They make a really sound product. Being a lefty I normally don't consider them because they don't make anything with the bolt on the "wrong" side. But I've shot a few of their rifles and they can hold their own in the accuracy department.
And BTW I think their Patriot rifle is a really sharp looking piece.