Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger American

Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sage - I had a couple Savages with the Accutrigger. Great on the bench or for a shot at game when you have the time. I prefer a 3 lb trigger without "picking up the slack" of these new designs. It is definitely what I am accustomed to.
You'll really be happy with the Tikka. I love my 06. And the bolt is as slick as snot on a door knob. The first time I shot it I didn't think the bolt picked up a round from the magazine! The trigger is very good as is the accuracy.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Sage - I had a couple Savages with the Accutrigger. Great on the bench or for a shot at game when you have the time. I prefer a 3 lb trigger without "picking up the slack" of these new designs. It is definitely what I am accustomed to.
You'll really be happy with the Tikka. I love my 06. And the bolt is as slick as snot on a door knob. The first time I shot it I didn't think the bolt picked up a round from the magazine! The trigger is very good as is the accuracy.
I feel the same way about the Accutrigger and similar designs and will likely never purchase another rifle with them. That said I never had any issues while hunting with my Savage. I've made some good shots on coyotes that involved little time to make. Personal preference is a huge factor in the right rifle for the individual. We have so many designs to choose from, even though sometimes we get something we don't like.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Spike

Fair review. I have a Ruger American Compact in .308 and it is a decent rifle for the money. I got it to have a short, accurate rifle that I can easily carry in the high country, on steep slopes, in heavy timber, for a long ways. It is certainly that and mine is plenty accurate enough to hunt out to .308 ranges.

The scope is a BDC Nikon that matches the gun in terms of quality. One of the things I like is that I can carry the gun loaded for elk or deer with high powered rounds in the chamber and by cycling the action I can load the next subsonic round that I can use for smaller game without blowing it up. In my gun, with the high powered rounds zeroed at 100 yards, the 5th BDC ring puts me on target with the subsonic rounds at closer ranges with a bit of Kentucky windage to the left.

Very flexible and affordable and it shoots well enough to kill a deer or elk at .308 ranges, but can also shoot a grouse at 50 yards reliably. The trigger is not perfect but it works safely and reliably and I'd buy it again for the reasons mentioned above.

In other hunting scenarios...longer range for pronghorn or when portability is not a priority, I would use a finer rifle with a better scope, but for what I described, it meets my expectations.

Last edited by paveglass; 10-11-2017 at 06:51 PM.