Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Best calibre/ammo combo >

Best calibre/ammo combo

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best calibre/ammo combo

Old 10-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
and I don't and won't own a 30/06!
RR
Me either! No desire whatsoever!

Unless it's necked down to .270, 6.5mm or 6mm...
Old 10-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Me either! No desire whatsoever!

Unless it's necked down to .270, 6.5mm or 6mm...
Myself as well. That's why mine go from 308 then jump to 300 WM then to 338 Lapua then to 375 WM. No '06.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
and I don't and won't own a 30/06!
RR
Any specific reason other than it's just so common?

To answer the question. If I was limited to one I'd probably go the with the .30-06. You can buy ammo anywhere, and if you can't somebody near you probably has some extra in their truck.
-Jake
Old 10-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally .308, five reasons, tried and proven, big enough for anything I hunt (up to Moose or Red Deer), acceptable recoil, if the SHTF it is a military caliber and something you may be able to scrounge on a battlefield and the vast majority of my shots are within 200 yards.

I've tried the magnums, kill in front cripple behind. Shooting one from a prone position can hurt. I sold my model 70 7MM mag. Only rifle I've owned that left me with a black and blue shoulder and scope eye.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is basically the question that I asked myself when I bought my rifle years ago as a starving college student. I went with the 30/06 as it gives many, many reloading options and you can buy ammo anywhere.

Over twenty years later, I'd only add this:

1.) A 300 win mag, as was said, might be better than a 30-06 if you're in a brown bear world. I'm not, and probably never will be. I could probably make the 30-06 do with a good handload, maybe a 220 grain bullet if I ever got the chance.

2.) My choice of a Savage 110/111 is still seeming to me the best choice of all the makes. Besides being one of the few makers that produce affordable left-handed guns for people like me, 110s offer the advantage of being easily rebarreled. You can get a 35 Whelan barrel and a gunsmith could put it on with his eyes closed. It would be like a mechanic doing a brake job in terms of difficulty, I'm guessing total cost of $300 or even less, and you have a real bear cartridge certainly useable for deer.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not have experience with many of the calibers, especially the large ones and the magnums. The 30-06 will do anything that I need a rifle for. My second rifle would be a decent .22 if we can have two guns.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Spike

For only one, all-around, general-purpose big game rifle: 30-06. Any big game animal on the North American continent can be taken with the -06, if you know what you're doing with it.