Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle >

Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle

Old 07-24-2016, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle

I purchased a used 1895 Cowboy a bit over a year ago and was playing with different loads trying to get 405 gr. hard cast lead bullets to shoot out of it. It shot 300 gr jacketed bullets well but the 405s hit way low that. So much so that I couldn't raise the rear sight high enough.
Then a fellow member mentioned a load he used using IMR3031 so I thought I'd give it a try. But before going out I started rummaging through my box of gun parts and found a fiber optic front sight that was 0.100" shorter so I tapped the original out and put that one in its place.
After some firing and adjusting at the range I got it zeroed in at 50 yards. But I'll tell you, shooting that combination of a 405 gr slug with a stout load, a steel butt plate, and a T shirt does not make for a pleasant feeling when shooting off the bench.
But after zeroing and shooting the rifle offhand, it was a blast. It was fun picking off clumps of dirt and fist sized rocks and watching them disappear.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL dem 405's are a blast aint they!! I do pity you on the bench though with that light rifle and steel butt plate. I don't even bench mine when shooting my big loads. No position on the bench or prone will make that combination hurt any less. I do wonder who fitted yours with a steel crescent? Mine has the hard (may as well be plastic) little plate which is just as uncomfortable on the bench but they are a pretty good pleasure to shoot off hand. Been meaning to cut mine square and fitting it with a good limbsaver.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I bought a new one and the LOP was a little short so I added a slip on Limb Saver and it makes a huge difference. My buddy shot it and thought it was pleasant to shoot (w/the Limb saver) as well. We shot 300 grain, 405 and 430 grain bullets, all factory loaded.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cal, unless you're getting something special, factory loads are pretty mild because of the liability factor of not blowing up trapdoor rifles. The loads I made up for my Marlins (both the Cowboy and the Guide Gun) are pretty stout because I use them for bear hunting. I've taken 3 with the Guide Gun and 300 gr bullets. Now I want to carry the Cowboy with the 405s cast bullets and see how they perform. I know penetration won't be an issue but I'm concerned a bit about expansion.
BYW - about the LOP - I did punch myself in the nose with my thumb a time or two with it.. lol
Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL now imagine MY gorilla arms on that little bugger! But I have to admit, it is a pure pleasure to carry in the thick woods. This thread actually made me pull the thing out today and do some measuring. Going to square it off, add a laminate "extension" and then an attached limbsaver. Probably add around 3.5 inches to it. That oughtta help a bit.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Expansion? Don't forget amigo - it's starting out at 45cal!! She's as big before expanding as most bullets after!
Old 07-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Expansion? Don't forget amigo - it's starting out at 45cal!! She's as big before expanding as most bullets after!
X2

That, and they'll penetrate as well as or better than many other bullets.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Cal, unless you're getting something special, factory loads are pretty mild because of the liability factor of not blowing up trapdoor rifles. The loads I made up for my Marlins (both the Cowboy and the Guide Gun) are pretty stout because I use them for bear hunting. I've taken 3 with the Guide Gun and 300 gr bullets. Now I want to carry the Cowboy with the 405s cast bullets and see how they perform. I know penetration won't be an issue but I'm concerned a bit about expansion.
BYW - about the LOP - I did punch myself in the nose with my thumb a time or two with it.. lol
The 405 grn was a cowboy load so it was pretty mild. the 300 was a Federal load for hunting so it was a little hotter. The 430 gran load was made by HSM in Montana and they advertised it as being stout bear medicine. It was definitely hotter.

I shot the ammo with the Limbsaver slip-on pad on the rifle and without. You definitely feel less recoil with the pad on but I would describe the recoil as more of a push or shove than a sharp recoil like my 270 for instance (hard plastic buttplate). I'm not very recoil sensitive (just lucky). My buddy shot the rifle with and without the Limbsaver also (gotta share with your buds) and he had the same opinion about the recoil feeling like a push or shove.

As for the LOP, I was kind of surprised when I first held the rifle in the gun store and asked about a slip on pad to extend it (wasn't even thinking about recoil at the time). The clerk got a Limbsaver slip-on pad and put it on the gun for me to try. It fit like a glove then and I bought both the rifle and pad.

Bronko, I realize you want to reload for this gun and that is part of the fun. If you're ever looking for some really good factory bear loads, check out HSM.

Last edited by CalHunter; 07-25-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Bronko, I realize you want to reload for this gun and that is part of the fun. If you're ever looking for some really good factory bear loads, check out HSM.
Cal I can't recall the last time I shot a factory loaded centerfire cartridge. My lists of those I load for are 5.56, .223, .308, .270, 7-08, 30-06, 30-30, 32 win spl, 9mm, 38 spl, 357, 40 S&W, 44 mag, 405 Win and probably one or two others.
Not as long a list as some but long enough. I used to load shotshells too but gave that up when the price of shot went through the roof.

I was seriously thinking about loading the 405s with black powder. But after reading up on it I don't think its worth the hassle. With using a drop tube, filler etc., and then the cleaning afterwards...nah. I can just use my BP rifles for that.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-26-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Now that would be a hoot. Take a replica BP 45-70 handloaded and go on a buffalo hunt on the prairie.