Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
home protection handgun >

home protection handgun

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

home protection handgun

Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
son just call me for advice on getting a handgun for home protection. he is looking for something his wife could handle also. son has handled my revolvers before. 44 and 41 mags. his wife has never handled a handgun before. I suggested a revolver in 22 or 38 spl. also take her to a range and let her shoot both and see what she is comfortable with. semi's are probably not the best for a beginner. what do you some of you think of this advise?
Going back to the OP questions, I think I would suggest something along the following lines if I were you.

You said his wife has never handled a handgun before. Has she handled (shot) rifles or shotguns? If yes, he should take some of all 3 to the range and let her shoot them to help her decide if she is more comfortable with a rifle or shotgun as opposed to a handgun. Yes, a handgun is smaller and more maneuverable but if she's just not comfortable with it, she's not likely to use it.

If his wife has never shot any gun before, take a .22 pistol and rifle to the range and teach her how to shoot with both of those over more than 1 range session so she doesn't get tired and learns to enjoy the range time. After she gets used to shooting .22's, have her try something a little bigger and slowly work her way up. I like the idea of a .357 that can shoot .38 special rounds but each person can be different and what is right for one isn't always right for another.

If she and your son decide it is going to be a pistol, I would suggest buying her some self defense gun instruction time with somebody who teaches that for a living. That way she can learn more about how to shoot (not saying you or your son don't know how), how to use tactics and things to think about BEFORE you point that pistol at another person. In some places, you can get realistic training with simulators that pit you against a bad guy in a shoot or don't shoot scenario and really make you think about what you would do or not.

It's not a simple answer but in fairness, your question has a few variables that are unanswered (see above) and could change the answer some.

One last thing I would offer and it sounds kind of trite but it is so very true in real life. What you practice on the range develops both muscle and thinking memory. If you only train halfheartedly on the range, you're likely going to perform even less than halfheartedly due to stress, fear and adrenaline in a combat situation. Hopefully this helps some.

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-10-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great tips Cal!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very good advice Cal. Developing muscle memory takes a lot of practice but is necessary to be proficient in a stressful situation.. One other thing, since this thread is about a gun for home protection some thought should be given to keeping a pair of ear plugs next to where the gun is kept and accessible. If you have never fired a gun in a house or in a vehicle it will shock you and ring your bell! I keep a pair next to my handgun safe next to my bed right by the flashlight. You can buy ear plugs pretty inexpensively that will allow you to hear voices but protect you from very loud noise. I really hate to go backwards but it was stated that a fireball emanating from your gun is a good thing. It for sure is not a good thing, I had to train at night and the fireball coming out of the barrel in the dark while shooting .357 magnum rounds really destroys your night vision. People really should go to the range at night and see what it is like to shoot at something in the dark with the gun they keep to protect the house and those in it so they aren't surprised if the ammo they use causes a big fireball. I have seen officers in training drop their handgun because they thought it blew up the first time they shot in the dark with duty loads. Like has already been stated, the more you practice and the more you learn, the better you will be prepared if the worst should happen.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-11-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
A .357 magnum with 110 grn 38 spl ammo is plenty enough to do the job. Relatively low recoil, especially with a .357 revolver, no worse than a 9MM. And then you have the option of firing .357 ammo if you want. Stainless is unlikely to rust sitting on the shelf. And is more visible in low light.

Low light and somebody may not see a sub compact.

The chances of a miss are high in a high stress environment, a large ball of flame is better than nothing. I've shot my 2 1/2 inch barreled .357 at the range and had everybody stop shooting and stare.

Maybe some of my critics should try "thinking" before they speak.

I've given it some thought, have any of the critics?

...partial quote...
OT, I assume (but don't know for certain) that you are referring to the above emboldened text in the partial quote. Like just about everything else, context is important and can provide more meaning.

I haven't posted about the above post but if I did, I would probably have more questions before I put forth an opinion just so I could posit something more precise. In general though, I would have these questions and thoughts (see below).

Is the stainless (pistol) being more visible in low light meant for the homeowner to see and find their pistol in a dark bedroom or similar low or next to no light situation? I suppose that could help but waking up, being groggy/sleepy, not seeing well enough to begin with in a low or no light situation is likely going to mean you would have to "know" where your pistol is and pretty much practice picking it up from your hiding or resting place. It would also possibly make it easier for a bad guy to see before you finish waking up. I'm not bashing S pistols (I like them) but don't know that it would be a tactical advantage in such a situation.

If the SS pistol is meant for the bad guy to see and then determine he/she needs to turn around and run, I don't know. Maybe it would help and maybe not. It's hard to say either way without more data.

Regarding a "large ball of flame," in that circumstance, one would guess an accompanying loud pistol shot sound would occur also. Is it the flame or the sound or both causing a burglar to turn tail and run. It was posed as being "better than nothing." For somebody who is ready to be afraid of a gun shot, it probably would be better than nothing. For somebody strung out on drugs and not thinking about it, maybe not.

One could theorize about endless possibilities but the fact remains that a homeowner who has a gun, knows how to use it well and is willing to use it is likely the single best deterrent to burglars successfully burglarizing or robbing a homeowner.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes Cal, I was referring to what you bolded in my last post. You are being kind in your assessment, which I understand. My response to the post in question was based on thinking when someone asks a serious question they are entitled to some serious recommendations, not superfluous bunk about fireballs being better than nothing because some people stopped to look at one coming from a gun once on a range and bigger is better because the bad guy can see it more easily. Fireballs aren't better than nothing unless your intent is to blind yourself which isn't doing much for self defense of you and your family. The last sentence in your post gets right to the heart of the matter as did your first answer to the OP. One last thing, I was going to post this anyway, is folks may want to consider using frangible ammo in their home defense handgun. Hollow point ammo going through dry wall will plug up, not expand and behave just like FMJ ammo and will go through many walls which could be dangerous to family members in the home.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see no percentage throwing more gasoline on a fire.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I see no percentage throwing more gasoline on a fire.
Best post you've ever made on this site!!! Better to just retreat when the hole you dig gets too deep!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger SP101 3" with an action job would be a great option for a woman's home defense revolver.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is a good article on the use of hollow points. One I've heard a while back.
http://modernselfprotection.com/2015...hollow-points/
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the hamerless style revolver for a chick can carry in purse and won't hang up if needed in a hurry also I can carry it if need be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.