Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
home protection handgun >

home protection handgun

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

home protection handgun

Old 02-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default home protection handgun

son just call me for advice on getting a handgun for home protection. he is looking for something his wife could handle also. son has handled my revolvers before. 44 and 41 mags. his wife has never handled a handgun before. I suggested a revolver in 22 or 38 spl. also take her to a range and let her shoot both and see what she is comfortable with. semi's are probably not the best for a beginner. what do you some of you think of this advise? as most of you know ive been on this site for a long while and grew up around guns. I put my faith in the shotgun. my son is not familiar with semis as well as me. I sold guns in a sporting goods store and was more familiar with revolvers. he has kids and wants something he can keep away from the kids sight. I recommended a 357 with a 4 inch barrel and loaded with 38"s. much more simplier to use for him and the wife.

Last edited by Mr. Slim; 02-11-2016 at 06:45 AM. Reason: adding to post
Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO a 22 is not a caliber that would be used for defensive purposes. If all you're talking about is for home protection for her to use, I'd be looking along the lines of a cheap short-barreled shotgun with some heavy turkey loads stuffed in it. If you go handgun wise, a 9mm or .380 is light enough for a gal to use and has enough poke to get an intruder's attention. I'm not into handguns much and just have several that were passed down from my Dad when he died. When I'm out on the road I have a real nice little 85F Beretta in .380 near the bed that I can get at during the night just in case someone causes trouble.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-10-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

A .38 special should do the trick with hollow point loads but as was suggested a shotgun would be better for a novice inside a house and a .20 gauge would be plenty. One thing I would advise, have a light installed on the gun so the wife can see what she is shooting at or what not to shoot at and you do not have a tragedy with a family member walking around at night and getting shot. I keep a flashlight next to the handgun safe next to my bed, it is one that I can access my gun in the time it takes to put my hand on it. I have been trained to shoot with a flashlight in my hand but for a novice it is cumbersome and would be easier to have a gun mounted light. Above all, take her to the range until she is comfortable with the gun and can shoot it well and then continue going to the range. Practice in the dark as well. A gun in the hands of someone who is unsure of themselves is a danger to them. In addition. Talk to her about having to shoot a person in self defense, make sure she is sure she can do it. Not everyone can and it that is the case the bad guy is just liable to wind up with the gun.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I would ask is how much hand strength does your wife have. Does she have the strength to cock a revolver or pull the DA trigger? Don't laugh. Some women don't. I know my wife can't. Oldtimr gave some good advice. My suggestion if the weapon was going to be solely for home defense would be a short barreled .410 pump.
But if it is something she may decide to carry on her person for protection than I suggest a .38 spl. Something like a Lady Smith or similar for a revolver or a Ruger LCP or Taurus TPC in .380.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just an opinion, but bigger is better IMO. I for one really don't want to shoot anybody and if the sight of a firearm makes them reverse direction and take off running, great. Low light or dark, a sub compact isn't going to intimidate anybody.

IMO lady sized or sub compact firearms aren't the best choice, if you have a choice.

Best choice IMO would be a stainless or nickle, full sized revolver, maybe a .357 loaded with 38 spl 110 grain hollow points. In low light, a four inch barrel is going to have an impressive ball of flame come out the end of the barrel. Why not use every edge you can.

Or a slug gun loaded with most anything, at 20 feet it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference with a shotgun.

I'm not saying don't shoot, if you raise it to sight level your next movement is to pull the trigger.

I was a firearms instructor for lady's home defense at our local club. Some tricks you might try or observations you may use. Most of the ladys are going to flinch. Recoil seems to upset them more than the flash or a boom does.

And for what it is worth, teaching them to aim for the crotch seems to produce better results than center of mass. You can think this anyway you want, but it seems to more fact than fantasy. I taught mostly shotgun and had much better results after noticing the crotch shots would change the whole mood of the training season and got much better results overall. I think it is a subliminal wish in the back of most ladys minds anyway, use it.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Really, what a crock of nonsense. I assure you a gun pointed in anyone's direction will get their attention right quick no matter if it is a .38 special a .22 or a shotgun. How is a .357 loaded with 110 grain HPs any better than a .38 special loaded with the same? Ball of flame impressive? If there is a ball of flame the impressive part should be a bullet to the chest, you don't shoot at an intruder to scare them with a fireball. I have never heard of a bad guy asking what caliber or gauge a gun that was pointed at them is. I would rather see a person with a .380 they can handle than a larger bore that they cannot handle. Even a .22 bore looks like a cannon when it is pointed at you! The OP is asking for some help to get a gun for his wife who has no experience with a firearm, bigger is better is not helpful advice, in fact the whole post is not helpful. I was a police firearms instructor for 25 years and have taught hundreds of men and women how to shoot both handgun and shotgun and I taught kids to shoot and still do. I don't know where you come up with some of the stuff you post but it is not from the real world. Mr. Slim please do not put any credence in the above, everyone else has given you reasonable advise. I knew I should not have read it but it is almost like watching a train wreck, you just can't look away.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-10-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've also got him on Ignore, but read his post after seeing what you said and all I can say is I'm LMAO!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-10-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I've also got him on Ignore, but read his post after seeing what you said and all I can say is I'm LMAO!!!
X2!
The intent to "scare them away with the sight of a gun," will only get your gun taken away from you and used against you! If you/she does NOT intend to "shoot to kill," I'd advise against a gun at all!
If the intent is self defense, I'd advise on a 20ga. shotgun, .380 or .38 SPL.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A .357 magnum with 110 grn 38 spl ammo is plenty enough to do the job. Relatively low recoil, especially with a .357 revolver, no worse than a 9MM. And then you have the option of firing .357 ammo if you want. Stainless is unlikely to rust sitting on the shelf. And is more visible in low light.

Low light and somebody may not see a sub compact.

The chances of a miss are high in a high stress environment, a large ball of flame is better than nothing. I've shot my 2 1/2 inch barreled .357 at the range and had everybody stop shooting and stare.

Maybe some of my critics should try "thinking" before they speak.

I've given it some thought, have any of the critics?

The only real thinking they ever do is to try to figure out ways to denigrate somebody else. And talk a lot about what experts they are. I started out the post saying IMO, my guess is their opinion is the only one that counts.

I've shot at people and been shot. This is the real world.

A wheel gun is uncomplicated, fairly safe and IMO a person has less chance of forgetting a safety, working a pump slide release or bolt release when stressed.

And lastly, my critic is the same guy that said he would stand there and let ricochet bullets hit him, because they won't hurt you anyway (paraphrasing).

You run into some crack head or other hyped up individual and you want to give yourself every advantage.

The intent isn't necessarily to scare them away, but if it does you may be ahead of the game. A whole lot less paperwork.

And like Oodtirm said practice.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 02-10-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just when I've read a lot of what in my opinion is pure baloney out comes another post with more, including the infamous "large ball of flame" theory, LOL! Sir, your opinion and "help" many times is far from good in others opinion and you get all ticked off when other members differ with you. Everyone on this thread is saying not to listen to you for good reason. The OP is asking about a home defense weapon for a wife that has never shot a gun before and you are suggesting a heavy duty .357 magnum because "bigger is better" and that was your own words. Please show us where the critic, whomever that is because we're all your critics on this thread, made any such statement about letting bullets ricochet off him because they won't hurt. That, Sir, is the absolute biggest crock of bull I've read in a while and I can't believe you would stoop that low as to even type such garbage saying that about any member here and especially a person that I think you're referring to who was in LE for his entire career! I'm sorry that a lot of people differ with "your opinions" on numerous occasions, but it's not our fault that many times we feel that you are totally off base with what you type on various subjects. My suggestion is to either get a thicker skin when people disagree with you or quit typing such controversial comments that differ so much with others that have a lot of experience in certain things and disagree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.