Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger 10/22 target

Old 02-05-2016, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger 10/22 target

I've had this gun for a few years and really haven't shot much different ammo through it... I thought all 22 ammo was pretty much the same so I started out with the cheap bulk Remington ammo... Groups were ok I thought...

Then I decided this fall I was really gonna get into squirrel hunting... So I watched as many squirrel hunting videos on you tube as I could... This one guy I've really liked was a guy by the make natbonebusta... This guy knows his you know what!!!!

Well he's a CZ 452 guy and rightfully so that gun is a tack driver!!! After watching his sight in and ammo reviews I learned a little bit about what kind of ammo is out there and what is good stuff and what is so so...

I seen what his CZ 452 was doing with custom trigger pillar bedded at 50 yards with good ammo... 5 shots under a dime...

Well I went crazy and searched high and low for ammo... Man I did not know there was a 22ammo shortage... Holy crap!!!

Well I shot my Ruger yesterday with about 5 different types of good ammo and I shot a 5 shot group that was one ragged hole smaller than a 1/2"... Compared to his groups I'd say my gun is equal or maybe just a tad better...

Ruger 10/22 target is real squirrel headache medicine
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't seen many 10/22's that could keep pace with a CZ 452 or 455, but they're plenty good rifles, for sure. A guy can't feed a Lamborghini low-octane and expect premium performance - that bulk ammo is cheap, but it sure ain't the good stuff! The two factory barreled 10/22 Target's that I have are 2MOA with cheap stuff at 100yrds, 1MOA or less at 100yrds with Eley black box and Norma match. Just gotta stay away from the waxed match stuff with the autos, unless you're diligent about stripping and cleaning after sessions.

For a real trip - run a strap of packing tape over the top of a bunch of pennies on a piece of white-back cardboard, shoot those from 50yrds!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

my old Jim Clark built 10/22 shoots anything well,the good stuff that it likes is scary, shot indoor comp with it for a few years against the win 52's anchultz 54's and hammerli's if I bought top of the line ammo I could hold my own. with fed.classic solids or ely scorpions it is death on squirrels about as far as you can see them.
RR
Old 03-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had a 10/22 that shot real well also. And the funny thing, but good for me, was that it really shot the cheap winchester Wildcat 22LR ammo the best. Even better than Eley Match.
But alas, living in the state of PA it could not be used for hunting so I sold it. Actually for more than I paid for it.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I know is that When I shoot my buddy's 10/22; even the one with iron sights, makes me look good !!!
Old 03-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I had a 10/22 that shot real well also. And the funny thing, but good for me, was that it really shot the cheap winchester Wildcat 22LR ammo the best. Even better than Eley Match.
But alas, living in the state of PA it could not be used for hunting so I sold it. Actually for more than I paid for it.

Ya, this frustrates me... I love my 10/22s... great small game rifles. But I only use them in Ohio, just plinkers in PA....
-Jake
Old 04-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pa is one up tight state when it comes to game laws and regulation
Old 04-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA is uptight on many things, but sadly there very LAX on trespassing
and I truly wish they would step that up
as trespassing to me is one of PA biggest problems
spend time and money making a prime hunting area and some trespasser will come on and ruin your hard work
call game commission, and they say call state police ,, call state police, they say call local cops they say call game warden
big circle of pass the buck
then IF you get anyone to show up, it turns into a pain in the A$$ to have anyone fined and the fines are a joke
but I agree PA is an uptight state on a few things, , NO semi's, no sunday hunting
and a game dept that NEVER admits when they screwed up LOL(pheasants/deer??)
Old 07-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

what ya do with red squirrels? here we throw the destructive lil beasts away
RR
Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

I've ate them. Just a smaller squirrel. not much meat on them. They tear everything they can get into up though. I've killed them with hot dog sticks several times inside of our cabin. Rotten things.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.