Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Tripod w/ rear support

Old 11-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tripod w/ rear support

I am looking for a shooting tripod with a rear rest similar to this one. I have found tripods but I have not been successful with the attachment. I know that Stony Point used to make them but they are no longer on the market. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Similar to which one? No link, no picture...

I'll assume that you're looking for the "kickstand" that mounts to one leg of a tripod and reaches back to the heel of your buttstock.

Bottom line - those suck. That's why they're not made anymore.

Get a different head for your tripod. Primos, Bog Gear, Caldwell, etc - they all have multi-point rifle support heads for their tripods, and most of them can be adapted to fit other tripod brands.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If for field shooting here is what I use

a piece of closed cell foam covered in any material its 8" wide, 12" long and tapered from 1.5-4" in thickness, I slide it back and forth under the but for elevation, on the front is a Harris 9-13" swivel bipod, works great!
RR
Old 11-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the part he's looking for:

For guys shooting off-hand standing, it seems like a great idea, but it's really limited - you have to pick up the entire tripod and turn it to make much angular change.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

The rear support seems like something that would be easy enough to make and attach to at basic tripod. I few items from the hardware store would do it. One would just have to use his imagination and a little work with basic tools.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'd think a conduit hanger with a rubber pad to cinch around the leg, some all-thread and a link-nut, a turnbuckle, and some kind of Y yoke at the other end... It'd be all there.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Bog Pod XSR attachment for their tripod. I do not use it much but my wife really likes it. They make an adaptor that allows it to work with other brands of sticks.

I normally use a tall tripod with a standard head and have shot enough to have figured out what works best for me. I like to hold the fore-end just in front of the tripod and lean forward. Nothing I have found helps with that flying right elbow (for right handed shooting) except another set of sticks to hold the elbow steady, and that is usually impractical.