Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Weatherby Mark V Accumark >

Weatherby Mark V Accumark

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Weatherby Mark V Accumark

Old 06-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weatherby Mark V Accumark

I always wanted a Weatherby, well last weekend I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Weatherby Mark V Accumark chambered in the 7mm STW. I have been looking at this gun for over 2 years at my buddies shop. I ended up getting it for $1054 out the door with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 scope. The scope has to go, I hate Nikons, think I will replace it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 or save a little more for a Nightforce. Anyone have experience with these rifles? The serial #'s are SBxxxxxx, can anyone tell me when it was made? Now the search for brass begins, I found the dies.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had 3 accumarks, and they were all accurate. I like my wood better, and got another lasermark.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redgreen
I have had 3 accumarks, and they were all accurate. I like my wood better, and got another lasermark.
Nice! This is my first Weatherby. I cant wait to get some ammo loaded and hit the range. I almost bought my bosses Remington 700 Sendero in 7mm STW, but I owned a Sendero in a 300RUM before, I liked it but I wanted to try something different. Actually I never knew Weatherby chambered the STW in any of there guns till I seen this one.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

That STW will reach out there if that's why you bought it! According to a website I found on them the SB serial numbers were dedicated to the 9 lug Mark 5s from when they were introduced in 1995 to when they were discontinued in 2002, but that's the best I can do with no year breakdown anywhere I can find for you.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-25-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That STW will reach out there if that's why you bought it! According to a website I found on them the SB serial numbers were dedicated to the 9 lug Mark 5s from when they were introduced in 1995 to when they were discontinued in 2002, but that's the best I can do with no year breakdown anywhere I can find for you.
Thanks Topgun!! Yeah I hunt so pretty big clear cuts for elk, I figured this would do the job for me. I love the 7mm caliber and have always been intrigued with the STW round.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fritz1
Thanks Topgun!! Yeah I hunt so pretty big clear cuts for elk, I figured this would do the job for me. I love the 7mm caliber and have always been intrigued with the STW round.
I have a friend down in Texas that bought one in the Remington Sendero Model and he quit using it because of the recoil he couldn't tolerate. I was surprised because Hayden was a big guy that rode bulls in the big rodeos back when Larry Mahan was the star of rodeos. He shot a yote one day with it that was way out there and it almost cut that yote in half!
Old 06-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

fritz, 300 H&H Winchester brass is what layne simpson always recommended for the STW, in that cartridge H-1000 is your friend. had my STW since 96, its sent a pile of whitetails and a few bear to the promised land. lazer flat trajectory, kicks like a 30'06, there is no better med. game rifle made.
RR
Old 06-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
fritz, 300 H&H Winchester brass is what layne simpson always recommended for the STW, in that cartridge H-1000 is your friend. had my STW since 96, its sent a pile of whitetails and a few bear to the promised land. lazer flat trajectory, kicks like a 30'06, there is no better med. game rifle made.
RR
Thanks RR, I knew you were the guy to ask about it. Do you just run the 300 H&H brass thru the STW die? Do you have to load a light charge to fire form the brass?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Thanks RR, I knew you were the guy to ask about it. Do you just run the 300 H&H brass thru the STW die? Do you have to load a light charge to fire form the brass?
while I don't think it would hurt I run a just under max load on the first fireing, the max load for a 140 is 85.5 gr of H-1000, I'd run 84-85 gr. you'll still more than outrun a 7 mag, then after those rounds are fireformed I'd find a max for your rifle, I can run 86 gr of H-1000 behind a 140 ballistic tip, speeds are off the charts but brass life is short.
Neck the brass to a crush fit in your chamber, anneal after the first fireing. though it has an impressive trajectory, whats more amazing is the games reaction to a solid hit, they just melt, like a wet dishrag.
only folks who have witnessed that kind of energy transfer can believe this, but as time goes on you will have no complaints.
RR
Old 06-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
while I don't think it would hurt I run a just under max load on the first fireing, the max load for a 140 is 85.5 gr of H-1000, I'd run 84-85 gr. you'll still more than outrun a 7 mag, then after those rounds are fireformed I'd find a max for your rifle, I can run 86 gr of H-1000 behind a 140 ballistic tip, speeds are off the charts but brass life is short.
Neck the brass to a crush fit in your chamber, anneal after the first fireing. though it has an impressive trajectory, whats more amazing is the games reaction to a solid hit, they just melt, like a wet dishrag.
only folks who have witnessed that kind of energy transfer can believe this, but as time goes on you will have no complaints.
RR
Thanks bud! I cant wait to get this thing set up and slinging some lead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.