Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Best option for a .308 bolt action Rifle >

Best option for a .308 bolt action Rifle

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best option for a .308 bolt action Rifle

Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

i agree with sheridan and magman, i picked up a ruger american in 270 and its an awesome gun, very accurate, reasonable weight, good fit and function. Its not as nice fit/finish wise as some of the higher priced guns but in my mind thats a plus...i wont be kicking myself for dinging it up. Ruger american with some really nice glass and you have your 700-900 spent and youre done.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a hard look at the Weatherby.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Spike

i have a 308 savage axis and love it! it is a decent price so you will have enough for a good scope and other things you might need! I highly recommend it. It isn't extremely heavy, feels nice, and is just awesome. although mine didnt have the accutrigger (something i really wanted) so i would recommend that too.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Savage- ruger- mossgerg- marlin.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

On that budget, Styer Pro Hunter SBS (Safety Bolt System) "Mountain". Going for $799 or a tad less NIB down this way. Has a 20" barrell, a stock that can be adjusted to 3 lengths of pull by removing spacers. Excellent safety system. It is on the pricey side of the factory rifles, but I cannot imagine any being any better a shooter. I have several others ... have helped sight in many otehrs .... too many to mention. I have 2 Styers .... 30.06 Spr. and 308 Win. Both have a very good trigger. Excellent accuracy. I have hunted with mine in -30F(dang Montana !!!) to 100F (dang SE Alabama!). I have had zero issues with mine and highly recommend this rifle.

Having said that I bought my niece a Browining AB-II and my grand daughter a Ruger American in 270 Win. Neither is fsancy, but both shot great. Lot less $$$ !!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Banned

looks like you've been taken care of on this thread.I have had rem 700s, ruger m77, marlin. I now mostly shoot a win mod70 in.270 and love it. doubt I'll ever buy another rifle but never say never.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Spike

i myself will be buying a new rifle for next years season for deer black bear and coyotes .its the ruger gunsight scout rifle in 308 winchester, the stainless synthetic model. you should take a look st this rifle, check it out on you tube. good luck
Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 AM
Typical Buck

How the rifle fits you. Trigger pull. Action and stock fit. Forget who made the gun think about who's using the gun. They'll all shoot to a point for hunting purposes. Everything else costs money. If the gun shop won't let you pull the trigger find a new gun shop to deal with.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
How the rifle fits you. Trigger pull. Action and stock fit. Forget who made the gun think about who's using the gun. They'll all shoot to a point for hunting purposes. Everything else costs money. If the gun shop won't let you pull the trigger find a new gun shop to deal with.
Great advice. After reading reviews, I was set on buying one of the new Weatherby Vanguard II's a couple years ago -- until I put one to my shoulder, just didn't feel right, fine gun, I'm sure it fits some perfectly, but no for me.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Couldn't have said it any better. Most, not all, but most factory rifles in your price range will more than likely perform better than you can. It all comes down to your preferences and the feel of the rifle itself. Get what feels good, don't skimp on the glass and get out there and pop something!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.