Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Layman's Report on Browning AB-III >

Layman's Report on Browning AB-III

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Layman's Report on Browning AB-III

Old 12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Layman's Report on Browning AB-III

My niece decided to get into hunting this year for good and came to me for advice. Not being sure if she was in for the long haul, plus she just started her job about 3 months ago, I advised her to take a look at the "entry level" bolt action rifles. She chose the AB III in 270 Win. She forked over $453 for the rifle and Browning's scope mounting system and the "king's taxes". I threw in a like new Leupold Vari-X II, 2.5-10x40 mm that I had had for over a decade. Not knowing what ammo might work out best I bought 3 different boxes of "premium" stuff ... all 130 gr. The Hornady High Performance SST grouped best. I was stunned at the accuracy .... a solid and consistent sub 1 MOA. The trigger on this rifle is darn good and crisp. Felt like about 3.5#-4# or so. The simple bolt appears to be very well made and is a heafty chunk of metal. The rifle is not a thing of beauty but it is tolerable for sure. The balance and fit and finish of the action I think is great for a rifle in this priced range. Frankly I think she got a good deal ... especially on her uncle's scope . We are heading to the woods Friday.

Last edited by Mojotex; 12-09-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own one Browning shotgun (Cynergy Classic O/U) and one Browning rifle (X-Bolt Stainless) - I wish all my other guns were as good !

Browning's don't wear out, they wear in !!!

Seems to me, she'll do just fine.....................

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-08-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a winner to me, as I've always held Brownings in high regard.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Sounds like a winner to me, as I've always held Brownings in high regard.
Same here. I have several A-5s in various gauges and my grandfather used a BAR in 7mm Mag for several decades. I've also had a BLR in .243 and a High Power. Brownings have always served me well. But then what do you expect from a company founded by the world's foremost firearm genius.

Think about it for a minute, John Browning invented the Winchester lever action rifle, the Colt 45 Auto, the 30 Cal Machine gun, the 50 Cal machine gun, the A-5 etc... All of these are still in use and haven't been improved on despite more than 100 years to do so.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Browning A-bolt has been my favorite action for centerfire bolt rifles ever since I switched over to it when Ruger discontinued the tang safety M-77s. I don't have any experience with the A-bolt 3 however. I LOVE the A-bolt action overall design!