Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Remington 700 ADL in 243 >

Remington 700 ADL in 243

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 700 ADL in 243

Old 12-01-2014, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

They shoot great the only issue I have with the ones I have owned is the lack of hinged floor plate..
Old 12-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I know this is an old post, but...

My mom just picked up a 700ADL yesterday from Walmart for $377 in .243win and brought it to me to have me "get it ready" for her significant other for Christmas. He's not a gun guy, so she just wanted a decent rifle for him to haul around for opportunity shots on coyotes. I'm going to lap the locking lugs, bed it into a new Boyd's stock (purple & grey lam - Go Cats!), and do a bit of factory ammo testing with it to find a load it likes for him and get it sighted in. Turn key solution. If it doesn't pass muster after just bedding and lapping the lugs, I'll do a more intense blueprint to true up the bolt, receiver, and threads then set the barrel back, but I'll assume it'll be a 1-1.5MOA shooter out of the box.
I would love to see a pic when you get it finished. Go Cats! EMAW
Old 12-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SevenFields
I would love to see a pic when you get it finished. Go Cats! EMAW
Stock's supposed to arrive today, should get to bed it by Saturday afternoon.

EDIT: Stock arrived this afternoon. Gotta get the missus home from work then I'm gonna try to get the inlet relieved and get the pillars set tonight... A week 'til Christmas so my mom can put it under the tree, so I have a lot of work to do in not very many days.

And considering that I bleed purple too, I had Boyds put a purple thumbhole stock for my Savage B-Mag on the same truck.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-18-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm posting this up in the gunsmithing forum too, but here's the before and after of the Wildcat 700!

Started out as a $377 Walmart bought Remingtion 700 ADL package in .243win with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40mm glass on top.

Added a Boyd's Prairie Hunter purple & grey laminate stock, score high bedding pillars, Leupold 1pc base and rings, and Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40mm scope.

Only had a few minutes before the range closed to take these shots, but the one group I did shoot was 4 shots into 0.72" at 100yrds. Barrel was super hot shooting them so quick, and admittedly, I wasn't shooting my best to fire so fast, but it'll do.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not bad for a beginner
Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Sweet setup! If I read correctly its pillar bedded? how hard is that to do? Still a low level shade tree gunsmith here,but put after market triggers in my remington,ruger,and DPMS rifles, so have done some work.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bucklessyooper
Sweet setup! If I read correctly its pillar bedded? how hard is that to do? Still a low level shade tree gunsmith here,but put after market triggers in my remington,ruger,and DPMS rifles, so have done some work.
I did a bit more write up on this project over in the gunsmithing projects sub-forum:

HNI Gunsmithing Projects Sub-forum Thread: Quick and Simple ADL Spiff Up

It's not that hard to install the pillars, it just costs a bit to get the proper fixtures to do it, or takes a lot of precision set up time in your drill press to align it.

Be very cautious and go gently as your drill bits exit the stock, else you'll split chips out of the belly of your stock. I generally do all of mine with a variable speed drill bit at first, then turn the last bit with a T handle or brace.

The cheapest option is to buy piloted counterbores, like these below:

midway USA baker piloted counter bores.

Piloted counter bores work alright, but aren't perfect, since the pilot guide gets shorter and shorter as you drill through.

The better option is a hardened drilling guide like the Score High kit that I use, linked below:

Brownells Score High rem 700 drilling jig

The down side to this thing is that it's expensive if you're only doing one rifle. You also can rent it from score high, or at least you USED to be able to rent it from them.

Then you also need a set of stockmakers hand screws appropriate for your action and stock, or to make your own. These hold the pillars to the action while they're epoxied into the stock, then also hold the action into the stock when you glass bed the rest of the action.

Other miscellaneous common tools would include files, wood chisels, dremel/rotary tool, bedding tape, and of course, the epoxy and all of the accoutrement that it entails (Popsicle sticks, mixing tray, rubber gloves, release agent, and stuff to clean up).

I'll be doing a Savage B-mag and a few Ruger's this winter/spring, so I'll try to be better about taking pictures as I go through that process and post up another thread in the gunsmithing projects sub-forum just or bedding.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 01-01-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Nomercy,

Thanks for the link. Down the road I might have to pick up a cheaper grade Model 700, or Savage 110 and do a similar project. Guess if I did the savage I could do the barrel work. So many projects, so little funding for them......
Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Mechanically ANY of the 700s are great rifles but the ADLs have two faults, that cheap plastic stock & an even cheaper finish "quasi-parkerization"! It's NOT a true, chemical bath, acid etching parkerization like done on automotive & industrial parts. The finish Rem is putting on their low end guns is a sprayed on layer of junk that doesn't actually prevent rust but visual hides most of it! As long as you realize that & keep the gun properly oiled & maintained, the gun will give years of great service & they make great guns for "truck/tractor, knock about guns" but because of their cheapness they likely won't be pristine, well preserved heirlooms to be handed down.

Really the same can be said for the cheapest Savages, Weatherby's, Marlin XR, Mossberg etc...
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

My current Cabela,s sale flyer has a ADL in wood with a Bushy scope for 5 bills even.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.