Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Need help in choosing my new 20Ga. Slug gun! >

Need help in choosing my new 20Ga. Slug gun!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.
View Poll Results: Which 20 Ga. Slug Gun would you choose?
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (Thumbhole stock)
22.22%
Savage 220F
70.37%
Ithaca Deer Slayer III (Thumbhole stock)
7.41%
Other
3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Need help in choosing my new 20Ga. Slug gun!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help in choosing my new 20Ga. Slug gun!

I have done my research and have narrowed it down to 3 guns specifically designed for shooting slugs accurately.. The guns which I am looking at are.. H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (Thumbhole stock), Savage 220F, and the Ithaca Deerslayer III (Thumbhole stock).. I would like your opinions on which gun and why... Thank You in advance!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have no experience with either of these..i would recommend you read the reviews posted by other actual buyers. i have thrown a hold on quite a few items after reading them..very helpful.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Voted for the Savage 220F.

Don't need one at the moment, but it's still on my short list of future purchases.

Along with a Zeiss 3X-9X 40MM to put on it.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the H&R Ultra Deluxe and the Savage, both are great, but the Savage gets the edge, a little more accurate better trigger, either way you will not go wrong. Both of these I have, and they both wear Leupold VX-II 3-9x40, the Ithaca Deerslayer III is alot more money, is it worth that much more and will it be anymore accurate? I don't think so
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Spike

Savage 220F i know someone that just got one all 3 shots over lapping at 100 yards shot great cant ask for any better
Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Would you rather have a million dollars or 5 cents? ha, the 220 savage!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Spike

Hi. I'm a 37 year old bow hunter and a true newbie to guns and gun hunting.

I just bought a muzzleloader (it's in the mail) so I have a TON of learning ahead of me.

I am really curious about the slug gun choice of 20 gauge over a 12 gauge. Is it just as simple as preference? Wouldn't you be able to take a longer shot with a bigger load out of a 12 gauge that is just as accurate?

I am considering a slug gun in the future also and I would have never thought about a 20 gauge except for my kids. This may prove that I am new and uninformed. If a 20 gauge is a smarter choice, maybe I better reconsider.

I'd really like to know some advantages of a 20 gauge over a 12 gauge slug gun.

Whitetailcrazy, what type slugs are you going to shoot out of it? Also, what is the average cost of a Savage 220?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nstrut
Hi. I'm a 37 year old bow hunter and a true newbie to guns and gun hunting.

I just bought a muzzleloader (it's in the mail) so I have a TON of learning ahead of me.

I am really curious about the slug gun choice of 20 gauge over a 12 gauge. Is it just as simple as preference? Wouldn't you be able to take a longer shot with a bigger load out of a 12 gauge that is just as accurate?

I am considering a slug gun in the future also and I would have never thought about a 20 gauge except for my kids. This may prove that I am new and uninformed. If a 20 gauge is a smarter choice, maybe I better reconsider.

I'd really like to know some advantages of a 20 gauge over a 12 gauge slug gun.

Whitetailcrazy, what type slugs are you going to shoot out of it? Also, what is the average cost of a Savage 220?

Thanks guys!
i've heard people say the 20 gauge shoots flatter than the 12, and the other way around. The 12 gauge has probably a slighter edge of effectiveness with a bigger bullet and might retain energy better. But in the real world a deer will not tell the difference. I feel as if your almost punishing yourself shooting 12 gauge slugs over a 20 gauge slugs. if we weren't talking slugs i think the 12 would have a big advantage over a 20. But i see a lot more people starting to use 20 gauge sluggers at the range and on tv shows. i have both a 20 gauge and a 12. the only reason i take the 12 gauge is because its open sights. otherwise the 20 would be my choice.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I posted this poll for a friend of mine... He wanted to see the results.. He really likes the Ithaca Deerslayer III but wanted to know if it was worth the extra money or not? He wanted to see what everyone else's opinion was.. I personally own both the savage 220F and the H&R in both 20 & 12 gauge. As far as I am concerned I will never buy a 12 Ga. slug gun again!! 20's are more than capable for deer out to 150 yds. 20's have a faster rate of twist which are better suited for the faster slugs of today...Plus you can practice without induring the punishment a 12Ga. subjects you to! I love both the H&R and Savage equally so I couldn't tell him which one to buy.. Both the H&R and the Savage shoot the Federal slugs with the Barnes tipped bullet & the Remington Accutips exceptionally well... But every gun is subject to liking a different round for one reason or another... My savage likes those bullets where as yours may not... that is why I love 20's.. cause you can find that perfect load without being punished after shooting it repeatedly...
Thank You to everyone... for your opinions.. We are still looking forward to seeing how this poll turns out and looking foward to some more opinions before my friend makes his decision...Thanks again!

Last edited by whitetailcrazy; 12-18-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i've heard people say the 20 gauge shoots flatter than the 12, and the other way around. The 12 gauge has probably a slighter edge of effectiveness with a bigger bullet and might retain energy better. But in the real world a deer will not tell the difference. I feel as if your almost punishing yourself shooting 12 gauge slugs over a 20 gauge slugs. if we weren't talking slugs i think the 12 would have a big advantage over a 20. But i see a lot more people starting to use 20 gauge sluggers at the range and on tv shows. i have both a 20 gauge and a 12. the only reason i take the 12 gauge is because its open sights. otherwise the 20 would be my choice.
a 20g is lighter..apples to apples i.e wood all over..or plastic all over..
20 has less powder..less kick..
kids will be more incline to shoot it b4 a 12g ..although i started on a 30-30 and a 10g..i remember wishin it it was a 12.
its just as deadly as a 12g...bein all guns kill..