Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Henry Varmint Express .17 HMR >

Henry Varmint Express .17 HMR

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Henry Varmint Express .17 HMR

Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Spike

Did you end up getting the Varmint Express? Mine is on order and should arrive today. I am not a big game hunter, more just a kid who likes to shoot and have fun. I am having a hard time expressing in words how incredibly stoked I am about this gun! I understand that you lose some accuracy over some of the heavy barrel bolt action models, but the speed potential of the lever should be unmatched. And I've also read and heard several things that indicate that there are no auto-loading models that are consistently free of fouling. I hope it ends up being a great choice!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:12 AM
FA
Fork Horn

I also opted for the Savage 93 .17 HMR but I do own a few Henrys and they are great rifles. Good choice!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

ive got both the henry and the savage. The savage is a heck of a gun, super accurate. My henry is the golden boy, i sent it back to the factory for work and they installed the scope mount for me, unfortunately the scope needed shimming to get it on paper and i havent gotten around to it to test the accuracy. Great looking little gun, action is slicker than snot on a doorknob.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Spike

the 17hmr is a great fast flat shooting rimfire, but i would never shoot anything larger than a groundhog with one, you can kill a coyote with one put i would not reccomend it.

i want a good change for a clean kill, i hate to wound anything,

and while it will travel very far at a flat trajectory, it just does not have the energy needed for anything in my opinion over 10-12 lbs in body weight.,

henry makes a good gun but the ones i have, are not what i consider very accurate.

i bought my son several of the lever guns,through the years and they would never shoot with my old marlin 39a

i have a cz52 american 17hmr and it does a great job, but it is not as accurate as my sons savage, that is equipped with the heavy barrel and accu trigger
Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I bought the golden boy in 22LR and it is an awesome plinker. It shoots very accurately with just the iron sights and is a beautiful gun that should be on the wall rather than in my gun safe. For the price you can't go wrong with a Henry. I wouldn't have bought one but I was in a gun shop one day and one caught my eye. I asked the salesman if I could hold one that he had in the rack. I was surprised at the heft and solid feel and the action was like butter. I picked 22LR just for the cheap shooting and as a good platform to teach my grandsons to shoot.