Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning BBR

Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Spike

Default Browning BBR

How does the BBR compare to the A-bolt which replaced it.
I have a few A-Bolts and A-Bolt II and love them.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first bolt action center fire I ever owned was a late1970's vintage BBR in 30.06 Spr. I think I bought it new about 1977-78. It is one of the tighest group shooters I have ever come across. Gave it to my son-in-law for hism first deer rifle.

I did have two problems develop. (1) Not sure after how many rounds, less than 500 for sure ... the bolt stop became worn and until I had a new one made, from time to time I'd eject a shell and pull that big old bolt right through the action and it be there in my right hand !!!! First time it happened I was bum-fuddled. Would not happen every time. You'd have to hit it just right ... or in this case, just wrong ! The fix was easy. (2) I have had two stocks crack. The original stock split down almost the entire length of the forearm, along a wood-grain line. Browning sent me a new stock. I had it check for fit to the rifle by a reputable gunsmith. It eventually cracked through the side of the stock, right at the place that the action set down into the pistol grip. I had one heck of a time locating any form of a replacement stock. Finally found a guy that made "roughed" blanks for the BBR. I repaired the second stock and it is now back on the rifle. I put the rough blank aside for the future.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I resurrected one for a friend a couple of years ago. I believe it was a 1983 or 84 BBR. Built like a tank they are.

His is a 7mm Rem. mag and it is very very accurate. They have a massive recoil lug, even a bit of glass to bed it. Nice trigger and pretty wood.

My only knock on the gun was the weight, they are not light, not at all.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info.
I saw an brief mention of the BBR in an old magazine article, which made me curious so I did some googling but didn't find as much information as I thought I would.
Most of what I did find backs up the high quality, good shooting but HEAVY rifle idea. High quality and good shooting doesn't surprise me, since we are talking Browning, but the fact that they are heavy does surprise me somewhat.