Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review. >

Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review.

The Walther PPQ45 has landed in my hands.

Walther just shipped my LGS a special PPQ45 for our upcoming gun expo. Needless to say that the PPQ45 was mine soon after. I will start the review off as saying I had extremely high expectations for the 45 PPQ. I love my classic PPQ in 9mm but these days shoot/carry 40 and 45acp more. I have 28 handguns in my collection and teach a CCW class as well as act as a RO so I have shot about every handgun as they are available. In MY hands.... The PPQ 45 is THE most accurate polymer 45acp I have ever shot. It is the best PPQ I have shot. Yup, its that good.

This is the first magazine I shot out of the big PPQ45.

Lets back up and I will give you the specs. 12 + 1 45acp. The size of the gun feels the same as my PPQ 9mm. Fits my hand identical. It is a German pistol and it feels like it with its build quality. Build quality and fit and finish is top shelf.

Factory test target:

The PPQ45 magazines load 12 rounds of 45acp and they load all 12 rounds easily. The last round fits nicely. As you can see the mags are made in Italy and are very high quality with a anti friction coating. The mags shoot out of the bottom of the gun loaded or empty or even with the slide open. Think IDPA ready out of the box 45acp.

The slide racks as easy as my 9mm PPQ. Recoil management is where the PPQ 45 rises above all the other 45acp polymer guns I have shot. I dont know what magic Walther did to this PPQ but the PPQ45 feels like a 9mm PPQ. Its wasnt just me either. All those that shot the gun at the expo couldnt believe it was a 45acp. We had some very seasoned pro shooters shoot this gun and all were in agreement that it was one of the smoothest polymer 45acp they have shot.

The trigger: THE best in the industry. This one had absolutely no creep or mush at all. Even better than my well shot in PPQ 9mm. It is a match grade trigger by any ones standard. Reset was short and rapid fire was easily kept under control. I shot well past 40 yards with it and groups were unbelievably small (still looking for the target). Stacking bullets seemed almost effortless.

Sight were the typical 3 dot adjustable PPQ sights. Didnt have to touch them. They had a slight under target hold that I love. I will eventually put night sights on it but for now they are crisp and easy to see and will do nicely.

I ran out to my range and found the last target still on the board. These were the last 4 shots of HST from the box from a measured 42 yards shot standing freehand.
Two shots are touching in the top right hole.

The PPQ45 feeds everything. I tried to get the gun to fail by shooting it left handed, limp wrist, etc.... Perfectly reliable and this gun is duty ready for me. HST 230jhp and Gold Dot 230jhp are what I like to carry in my 45's and the PPQ45 shot both equally well. In fact, I shot 250 rounds of mixed ammo from cheap to premium and all were accurate and their POI remained consistent.
I believe Walther may have bested the original PPQ Classic with the PPQ45. I also will go on record that it is the best polymer striker 45acp you can buy. The gun seems to mitigate recoil better than the competition yet still being very light weight. Accuracy seems to be consistent with every body that shoots it. Those two alone make it a extremely easy 45acp to shoot fast and with alot of control.
So I will wrap this up by saying that the PPQ45 exceeded my high expectations. The only problem that I can see with the PPQ 45 is finding one. These are going to sell and sell fast.

Here are a few quick size comparison pics of some of my big bores I pulled from safe. Note that the mid size USP Compact 40 isnt that much smaller than the PPQ45.

Here is a good demonstration on the size of the grip and its excellent design. Note that my grip doesnt change going from shooting to releasing the magazine. I can easily activate the mag release without changing my grip at all. This is extremely rare for a 45acp that holds 12 + 1 rounds.

Here is a DeSantis leather holster for the G20 I wet molded to fit the PPQ45 exactly. The PPQ45 isnt as blocky as the gG20 so by remolding the lines, it gives a precise fit. The Blackhawk IWB holster I use for my USP Compact fits the PPQ45 great.

One other major point I failed to mention in the original review. The recoil push or pulse of the 45acp seem to fit the ergos of the PPQ better than a snappier caliber recoil. I think this is why many at the gun expo felt the PPQ 45 felt like a 9mm. There is a "X" factor between the 45acp and PPQ design that really works together and gives you a pleasant shooting experience. No trigger slap or any of that. I comfortably shot 250 rounds and could have shot all day with less fatigue than other 45 polymer handguns.

Last edited by Mystro; 09-15-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If only it was DA/SA. I hate DA only. My trigger pull seems to always migrate the site to the right (lefty pistol) in DA. Other than that it's definitely a nice looking piece and obviously accurate in YOUR hands. I probably couldn't shoot it worth diddly.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Spike

Default My PPQ 45

You're spot on with your review Mystro!! I own several Walthers and this is my second PPQ. My first was a M1 in 9mm and it is likely the most accurate 9mm I own (I own a LOT of 9's). I picked up my PPQ M2 in 45 ACP and have been spoiled once again. DEADLY accurate and the smoothest trigger on earth! The recoil is so similar to my 9mm it's not worth debating. If you're a 45 acp fan you're gonna love this one!!!
Attached Thumbnails Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review.-picrr1.jpg   Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review.-img_0040.jpg  
Old 12-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have been watching reports like this of the PPQ45 coming in now for the last month. All seem to echo my initial review which I am so glad to see. I try to be very objective with my reviews and it is sometimes hard to hide my enthusiasm when you see a standout product in it's field.

The Walther PPQ45 really is THE current polymer 45acp standard.

Originally Posted by NDMarksman
You're spot on with your review Mystro!! I own several Walthers and this is my second PPQ. My first was a M1 in 9mm and it is likely the most accurate 9mm I own (I own a LOT of 9's). I picked up my PPQ M2 in 45 ACP and have been spoiled once again. DEADLY accurate and the smoothest trigger on earth! The recoil is so similar to my 9mm it's not worth debating. If you're a 45 acp fan you're gonna love this one!!!