Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

T/C Pro Hunter 50cal.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Spike

I bought a muzzle loader barrel from Mike Bellum. My Pro Hunter is a tack driver now. Best money I ever spent. I think he uses Begara Barrels, not T/C barrels. Last load was 100 gr BH with a 350 gr Hornady FPB, 3 shots at 100 yards measured .706 not subtracting bullet diameter of .500, which would make it .206, not too shabby.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Spike

Bought the regular Encore 50 cal. 2 years ago. Started using Shocky's Gold, and Pyrodex and had lots of trouble pulling consistant groups witht he T/C 250 gr. Shockwaves. Just switched to 90 grains of BH 209 witht he same bullets and primers (CCI 209) and shoot consistant 1" or less groups at 100 yards. I bought the gun from a guy that was having trouble getting it to group. Just seems to be finicky in the choice of powder.

If there is one thing I have learned, it is that for every bad review, there are at least an equal amount of good reviews. I have also found that Muzzle Loaders require attention to detail, and a willingness to experiment to find the exact load, bullet, primer, loading procedure, and maintenance procedure that will allow that gunto perform to it's max capability.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am another very satisfied Omega owner. It is crazy accurate.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Spike

Default TC Pro Hunter 50 Cal issues

As many of you that have posted something about your Pro Hunter, I'm going to as well. I bought one 2 years ago for $500, camo gun, stainless, Nikon ML scope and a sling, the whole package thought I got a hell of a deal. I loaded 3 triple 7 pellets and a 270 grain Power Belt bullet. The same load my son shoots through his CVA and it's bad ass. At 50 yrds it was terrible, at 100 even worse. I thought the scope was bad, so I sent it to Nikon and they sent me another one, brand new. Mean while talking with a friend that has a TC Pro Hunter he told me to shoot 100 grains of power and a 250 grain Shock Wave. Its not to bad now but I want the advantage of shooting 150 grains of powder. I'm going to try the Black Horn 209 powder, I've seen some post where people like it and it help the TC group like it should. Hope this works, if not I'm going to sell it or trade it for a CVA Acura. Cheers
Old 10-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Damn, A Pro Hunter would be nice. You may have to work a different load for it. It seem's the TC's shoot best with a sabot. like a as well. Unless it has a rare factory defect it should be able to dial in. I've also noticed quite a few TC's don't seem to favor PB's over other a bullet/sabot combination. Nothing wrong getting an Accura either. One would think a Pro-Hunter to be great, accurate rifle.... wonder what happened

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 10-28-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry but you couldn't pay me to own a CVA anything. Every rifle they manufacture are cheap knockoffs of TC. I own a Pro Hunter (pre S&W takeover) and I would be willing to put it up against any MLer out there at 150 yards. BUT, she HATES anything under 100 grain loads. Over 100 and that girl tightens up. One of the best 150 yard groups I ever got out of her was with 120gr T7 loose and a 260gr PT Scorpion gold with MMP sabots. Pretty much 1 big ragged hole. Couldn't ask for better even from a center fire. I switched this year to Blackhorn 209 and am getting incredible accuracy from several bullet/sabot options with it. But one of the first things I did with that PH system was accurize it with that Bellum system. All the barrels I shoot with it are pre S&W except one and they all shoot under 1 MOA. It's been my experience over the years that a muzzleloading rifle is about the pickiest rifle on the planet. Loading pressure, load development, making 100% sure your bullet is going down perfectly straight, bullet seated in the sabot properly, are just a few of the things you have to pay close attention to or you will be getting poor groups.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Sorry but you couldn't pay me to own a CVA anything. Every rifle they manufacture are cheap knockoffs of TC.
only problem is the "cheap knockoffs" are guaranteed to shoot better out of the box and if it's between a cheap knockoff and overpriced junk i'm going to take what works 100 times out of 100.
thompson center has their moments but the pro hunter is no better than their cheapest offering and just victimizes brand loyalists out of an extra $400.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Super - shame on you. I only ever had two CVAs. The first was an Optima Pro that shoot very good but I sold it because I wasn't much into inlines. My current one is an Accura V2 and it also shoots fantastic. But I have to agree with you one thing. Your ProHunter is a pre S&W rifle. That right there is the key. IMO T/C has gone to he** in a hand basket since S&W took over.
I had an Encore in 7-08 that wouldn't shoot better than a 3" group at 100 yards and half the time wouldn't shoot my handloads. I had it sent back to T/C twice until I finally got disgusted with it and traded it in. Funny thing though is that some butthole stole it off the gun shops used rack. That rifle must have been jinxed.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Bronko, I view CVA in the same light that I do Mathews. Both companies "claim" innovation yet there isn't a single thing they produce that isn't a direct copy of someone else's work. They both shirk patent laws and get away with it. Irks me to no end. Cheap steel, no testing of the barrels, horrible triggers, weak hammer springs (TC is bad about that too though).

As far as post S&W takeover, I am 100% in agreement. I have been hearing some pretty horrible stories of the quality control over there now. Or at least the first few years after the takeover. Marlin went through that crap after 64 for about 20 some odd years. Hence why a pre 64 Marlin will fetch a premium.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Spike

I got a TC pro hunter with a muzzel barrel and shoot blackhorn 209 powder at 250g with barns tmz bullet, shoots incredible. No issues. These are old post so idk but I love my TC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.