Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Remington 770 in .243 caliber >

Remington 770 in .243 caliber

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 770 in .243 caliber

Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Remington 770 in .243 caliber

I recently purchased a Remington model 770 for my fiancee to use during deer season. I picked it up for 299.99 with a lifetime warranty. This was one of those package guns with scope.

Now for the review,
Rifle accuracy:
All I can say is wow. I had my doubts but this thing is deadly accurate. If you look at the attached photo that shows my 60 (right target) and 100 (left target) yard groups. I don't have a picture of the first 3 shots but the were just as tight as the 60 yard group out of the box.

Rifle Action
The action of the rifle does need a little work but most new rifles are tight anyway. The as mentioned before is tight and smooth. after putting 20 rounds through the gun it def seemed to smooth out more.

Quality
Don't have much field time with the rifle yet but seems to be of good quality as guns from Remington usually are.

Pre mounted Scope
The scope included is the Bushnell sportsman. It is not an expensive scope but seems to be of good quality and after 20 rounds through the gun it is still zeroed.

All in all I would rate this gun 5 out of 5 because of value, accuracy, and quality. Don't anyone be fooled this is not a show gun and was not intended to be used as one.
Attached Thumbnails Remington 770 in .243 caliber-100_05661.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh no, somebody just opened up a can of worms again lol. I am glad that you have had good luck with your gun so far. These guns really seem to be hit or miss. The Remington 710 that I had was very accurate, fit me well and the scope was ok, but when the gun developed a crack in the stock where the clip slides in I traded it in on an older gun in good condition.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

These guns are a crap shoot. Seems like ppl either get a good one, or get a horrible one. It's not typical remington qualty and most ppl will agree that they aren't worth your time or money. But I'm glad you seem to have gotten a good one. Good luck with it!
-Jake
Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

chas0218, I was able to get groups as good as and maybe a little better than your 60 yard target at 100 yards with Federal 150gr Sierra Game King boat tail bullets with a 710 .30-06 I bought about 8 years ago. You might be able to tighten things up a bit further with other ammo.

Last edited by xd9x19; 12-02-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Spike

Default Remington model 77 .243

So I recently Bought a rem 770 243 for a good old critter gitter and my good god am I ever impressed I was so impressed I upgraded the stock and threw a 2000 dollar leupold on it and today I was out shooting a 58 grain v max at 600 yards at a 12 x 12 gong and my groupings could fit under a drink coaster I have 4 buddies who all Bought the same gun and theres all good just as good I'd say 5 out of 5 forsure bolt was a little sticky but with a little love and tlc its pretty much compaired to my rem 700 I took this 290 dollar gun and turned it into a long range killin machine !!!! If there was a way to post a photo I would
Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad you like them. My experience/exposure to them has been less than stellar. To be fair, most of the time I never see a particular brand/model/platform firearm unless it's messing up or the owner wants to upgrade. Having said that, I wouldn't own 1 if you gave it to me! I've simply seen wayyyy too many become inoperable to have any faith in them. The majority of the problem is the plastic sleeve the bolt rides in, between the bolt & receiver. After several boxes of ammo through it the plastic will deteriorate and keep getting worse until it becomes totally inoperable. Of course for the guy that's not big into hunting much more than 2-3 shots per year (checking zero & 1 shot for the deer) it'll last him from now on. Also the barrel attachment system don't lend itself to replacement.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I'm glad you like them. My experience/exposure to them has been less than stellar. To be fair, most of the time I never see a particular brand/model/platform firearm unless it's messing up or the owner wants to upgrade. Having said that, I wouldn't own 1 if you gave it to me! I've simply seen wayyyy too many become inoperable to have any faith in them. The majority of the problem is the plastic sleeve the bolt rides in, between the bolt & receiver. After several boxes of ammo through it the plastic will deteriorate and keep getting worse until it becomes totally inoperable. Of course for the guy that's not big into hunting much more than 2-3 shots per year (checking zero & 1 shot for the deer) it'll last him from now on. Also the barrel attachment system don't lend itself to replacement.

You nailed it pardner. If a guy isn't going to shoot one of those junk pieces more than a few times a year, he might be okay for a long time with one. Wait until the guy and his 4 buddies have what you mentioned happen or several of them break the bolts, which many people are also experiencing and I'd bet he won't be back to tell us about it, LOL! To buy one of those cheap pieces of garbage and then replace the stock and put an expensive Leupold scope on it is sheer lunacy IMHO!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting a 243 and can't cover the group with a quarter at a 100 yards I'm prob not gonna keep that rifle long!!!