Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

CVA Single shots

Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default CVA Single shots

anybody got one? does it jam after firing and refuse to open?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Spike

I have an Apex in 308 and never had a problem with it. The one thing I noticed is you have to crank on the handle pretty good to get the action to break open.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

sounds like the head spacing on the bullet is to long.

i have a 30-06 apex and love it. When using some reloads the headspace was to much and the bullet would actually get stuck into the rifling. Very bad thing to have happen as that can build up scary pressure.

You may have to try different brands of ammo as they are not all the same.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

If your bullets are getting stuck it is because the length of the loaded cartidge is too long, it is called the throat/leade/freebore of the chamber. A short leade requires a shorter overall cartridge length.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

thank you Goat, you explained that a hell of a lot better than i could have LOL. I just dont mess with centerfire enough to give good clear info on.

Another place to get help would be www.bellmtcs.com
Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Spike

Have had an Apex in .243 for a little over a year and have had zero problems with it. LOVE that gun and it drives tacks!

Last edited by coal hollow; 02-28-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Spike

H & R and Rossi are cheap compared o what you might pay for a Thompson-Center Encore, a Ruger model 1, or any number of Italain-manufactured replicas of Sharps rifles. The reason is that H & R and Rossi manufacture their rifles with hardwood stocks (less expensive than walnut), and the barrels are generally not polished very smooth or blued very deeply.

But compare what you might pay for a repeater, and you will see that the "budget" single shots are a bargain. Thompson-Center's quality is second to none as well, which may explain the higher cost.
=============
Area Bebas Berkreasi dan Berbagi. B
event management
Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had a problem with the CVA. Good, accurate rifle.

As far as Thompson Center's quality, well lets just say I will never buy another one.