Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Stuck between - Sako A7 or Browning X-bolt >

Stuck between - Sako A7 or Browning X-bolt

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Stuck between - Sako A7 or Browning X-bolt

Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Spike

Question Stuck between - Sako A7 or Browning X-bolt

Hey guys,
New to the forum. Fairly new to deer hunting. Been hunting this season with a friend's Browning BAR .300 Win Mag. It's a fine weapon, Belgium made. But I'll need to return it, so I'm shopping. And I apologize for starting probably another thread like this - I've googled forums everywhere for answers but need a bit more.
I've been to some shops and handled the Savage 111, Rem 700 SPS, Browning X-bolt and Sako A7. I prefer the latter two for their balance, action and trigger feel.
So I handled both the A7 and the X-bolt for awhile. My impressions after about 15minutes of this:
(By the way I'm looking at .270 Win with synthetic stocks).

X-bolt:
+ Handles and is balanced nicely to me. Comes up to shooting position naturally.
+ Stock has a nice tactile feel to it, like a bit of rubber on the surface. Grips nicely
+ Maybe prefer the safety over the A7
- Don't like the action as much

A7:
+ Action very smooth
+ Prefer the trigger over the X by just a hair (ha no pun intended)
+ Like the magazine release mechanism (have to push up and press button to release)
- Stock doesn't feel as nice as the X
- Balance and handling good but the X feels more natural.

This is all without a scope mounted.

I can't have all I want in one so I need to compromise - it's basically coming down to Handling vs Action/Trigger. Not that the A7 handles like a tank (the BAR feels that way to me, compared to these two) but the difference is a bit noticeable. I always do things a bit different so I'm also drawn to the Sako for that reason.

Thinking about the hunting I've done this year, holding and handling the firearm has been key, the action is second (ideally we load and wait for one shot, right?). So maybe the X has the edge. But I'm still thinking about it.

I welcome your comments, thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Dont forget to mention that the sako has a 5 shot moa guarantee....

Browning has nothing....

In all honesty you cant go wrong with either one.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Spike

I have the browning x-bolt in 7mm Rem. Mag. and love it. Wouldn't trade it for any other.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sako by a long shot
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had awfully good luck with the Brownings. I'd choose the Browning-especially since it seems to fit/handle for you better. Fit/handling goes a LONG way toward good marksmanship. You can hand lap the bolt on the Browning until it's glass smooth, although I doubt it would be necessary.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Spike

I should have known the opinions would fly. I'm still torn about it - and the 5 shot MOA is important as well. I'll be going back to spend more time with each rifle. The Sako wasn't a bad handling rifle by any means, just that the X has the edge. We'll see... to complicate matters if I want stainless the Sako is still in reach but Browning in stainless goes too far over budget. What dilemmas... but I'm thankful I have the cash for these and not shopping bargain basement
Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Let me throw a kicker in here. I just picked up a ruger SS hawkeye (in 358 win). Trigger isn't bad (probably will put a timney on it but for 90% of the shooters out there it's really decent), fit is decent, the darn thing wants to shoot in the same hole @ 50 but I've more playing to do. Action is pretty smooth. The guard rails look rough but it doesn't seem to effect the action at all. Oh I've got 3 sako 75's and a 85, the ruger shoots as good if not better than any of them and yes the actions on them are smooth as silk and the ruger while good isn't as good. Lastly, ruger is USA made
Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are looking at the A7 then I would save the extra cash for glass and get a Tikka T3 lite... it shoots just as good.
If you want to get a Sako then get a Sako 85 and leave the A7 on the shelf.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd prefer the X Bolt over the A-7. However, the Tikka may be a decent alternative.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know this doesn't help, but just so you know you're not alone.

I brought the Sako A7 Stainless in 7MM Rem Mag; and the Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag I pick up for Christmas this year.

I could not make up my mind either !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.