Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Stuck between - Sako A7 or Browning X-bolt >

Stuck between - Sako A7 or Browning X-bolt

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Stuck between - Sako A7 or Browning X-bolt

Old 12-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I know this doesn't help, but just so you know you're not alone.

I brought the Sako A7 Stainless in 7MM Rem Mag; and the Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag I pick up for Christmas this year.

I could not make up my mind either !!!
Wow that's one solution I wish I had . So what do you like/dislike about each?

bigbulls - I've considered the Tikka (the Sako dealer I went to didn't have them at the time) and will handle one to see, but I like the fact that the A7 and Xbolt have a way to work the action without deactivating the safety. This alone is worth it to me to pay over the Tikka.

I also like the "ready to fire" indicator of the Sako/Tikka over the X bolt. Still thinking...
Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Super Duty,

Seems I'm like you...............I look for "features" I want in a gun first.

Classic lines, but synthetic (no Monte Carlo stock or raised/adj. comb).

Least drop at comb I can find.

Must be stainless.

Free floated

Glass bedded

Hammer forged

Want detachable box magazine (always buy one extra - loaded & carry as back-up).

Under 7lbs or there abouts

Tapered barrel (want low scope mount for good cheek weld)

8.5 lbs total carry weight.

& so on......................

Agree with most of your assesment on both rifles.

I could have went the otherway, except the A7 doesn't come in .338 Win Mag
Old 12-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Spike

I was faced with a similar decision this year and went with a Tikka T3/Zeiss Conquest. This is my first range visit adjusting the scope at 100 yrds. using cheapo Core-lokts. Group D is my last 3-shot group measuring less than 0.5"

Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also look at the Sako 85.

I have been looking at a Sako 85 for myself at a local gun shop. The Sako 85 I am looking at has a stainless barrel and grey laminated stock.
I currently own one Sako M-995 that is chambered in 340-Weatherby. I love this rifle, this has been my "do all" rifle for the last few years.

Good luck,

WK
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Dominick
This is my first range visit adjusting the scope at 100 yrds. using cheapo Core-lokts. Group D is my last 3-shot group measuring less than 0.5"
Nice... I sure hope I'm able to do that soon with whatever I end up with...
Old 12-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wolf killer
I would also look at the Sako 85.

I have been looking at a Sako 85 for myself at a local gun shop.

WK
The 85 looks great ... But isn't it about $1500? That's way above my price range.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I'd choose the Browning-especially since it seems to fit/handle for you better. Fit/handling goes a LONG way toward good marksmanship. You can hand lap the bolt on the Browning until it's glass smooth, although I doubt it would be necessary.
Well I'm 99% sure it's the X-bolt for me. After much thought and deliberation, it is exactly what you said above that has me going for it (fit / handling).

Just one question (newbie here)... what does hand lap mean?
BTW I have heard that the action gets smoother on the X-bolt after awhile. We will see.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by FSuperDuty

I also like the "ready to fire" indicator of the Sako/Tikka over the X bolt. Still thinking...

DUH the X-bolt has a ready to fire indicator too. My mistake...
Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hand lapping a bolt means you put lapping compound (VERY fine abrasive) on the bolt and work it a few dozen or a few hundred times until it's (the bolt operation) glass on ice smooth.

Originally Posted by FSuperDuty
Well I'm 99% sure it's the X-bolt for me. After much thought and deliberation, it is exactly what you said above that has me going for it (fit / handling).

Just one question (newbie here)... what does hand lap mean?
BTW I have heard that the action gets smoother on the X-bolt after awhile. We will see.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Spike

I two have been looking at the Browning, but I don't care for the bolt, it is assembled pieces. The lugs are pinned to tyhe bolt the handle is pinned to the bolt the rear assembly is also pinned.

I much prefer the Sako. If it were me I'd take the piccatinny rail blocks off and replace with Talley one piece aluminum ring and base. I get the 270 WSM. but I reload so cost of ammo isnot an issue.I like the idea of two hundred FPS greater velocity. Put a good Vortex Viper scope on the receiver and be happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.