Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Tar Hunt Slug Gun

Old 08-15-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Tar Hunt Slug Gun

Anybody had any experience with this custom Slug Gun builder? Opinions/reviews? I am strongly considering having one built, but dang, alot of money for a desidnated slug gun that cannot be altered. You guys have any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember looking into them a few years ago, but 2500$ for a gun thats 200yds max range? The problem is, you still have to use factory sabot slugs, which are inherently prone to flers and cost a fortune as well, so I just dont see much point in it, unless you have $$ to burn. I just dont see you getting much better groups w/ the tarhunt than you could w/ a 500$ savage 210 or even a h&rUSH w/ a little work done to it. Those tarhunts are nice though, too bad slug technology has not caught up to it.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the Tar-Hunts are worth the money either when you are talking about the high end top dollar models. There are models around $1200 and the new RSG-20 is around $800.

The Savage, Marlin and Mossberg's bolt-action slug guns are known for their accuracy and of course there is the H&R USH.

For pump-action guys I think this might just fill the order for people who don't want to spent Tar-Hunt money.

Pro Picks - A Working Man's Tar-Hunt?
January 12, 2009
by Daniel E. Schmidt

• Remington 870 Super Slug pump shotgun
• Shur-Shot overmolded stock
• 25.5-inch fluted, extray heavy barrel
• Overall length: 47 inches
• Average weight: 7.8 pounds
• Suggested retail: $772

Looking for quite possibly the most accurate factory slug gun at a working
man's price? Then you should check out the brand new Model 870 Super Slug
from Remington. I just returned from a hunt in Alabama where I had the
opportunity to shoot this new slug gun. Initial reaction: impressive.

For year's custom-built Tar-Hunt slug guns have been noted as being the most
accurate money could buy, and custom pump guns from that company have been
built on the 870 frame.

This year, Remington unveils the Super Slug, which features rifle-like
accuracy out to 200 yards with some loads. The key is in the gun's design
and its Ultragon barrel. This barrel features six oval-shaped lands and
grooves for enhanced accuracy. The extra-heavy barrel is 40 percent larger
than standard, and it features a 1-in-35-inch twist for excellent bullet
stabilization.

Rubber overmolded grip panels and a thumbhole stock enhance the shooting
experience.

The 870 Super Slug shoots sub-moa groups at 100 yards with Remington's
Accu-Tip slugs. However, I believe this slug might just shoot the lights out
with CopperSolids as well. I plan to do some more testing this spring when
factory guns become available.

I would really, really like to try one of these Super Slugs!

Last edited by uncle matt; 08-15-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have an 12 gauge 870 the barrel is going to be available seperately also - P/N 24551. The receiver would need to be machined for the pin + drill & tap for a scope rail.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:09 PM
bigcountry

My hunting buddy picked up a tar Hunt. Awesome weapon. The thing I like about it, is it pretty well does away with flyers. Which we all are plagued with due to thin wall slug guns. He got his used for 1800 dollars.

If you have the funds and desire to reach out to 200 yards, its a fine gun.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
My hunting buddy picked up a tar Hunt. Awesome weapon. The thing I like about it, is it pretty well does away with flyers. Which we all are plagued with due to thin wall slug guns. He got his used for 1800 dollars.

If you have the funds and desire to reach out to 200 yards, its a fine gun.
big ,my theory on what causes flyers w/ sabot slugs, is that the sabot does not always separate from the slug consistently which could probably affect flight more than any other factor, since the projectile is actually already in flight, when sabot and slug separation occurs. I believe this, cause whenever I ve tested sabot slugs, the ones w/ the thinner walled sabots, like lightfields and hastings, seem to be less prone to flyers than the 50 cal slugs sqeezed down into a 72 cal sabot, because I believe the thinner sabots break away from the slug easier. I actually took the time once to cut open a lightfield hybred, a brennkee ko sabot, and a winchester partion gold, the golds sabot was very hard to fold back while ,the lighfield peeled back easy and the brennekke slug pretty much fell out of the sabot. guess which one shot the best, yep the brennekke. As far as thin walled barrel Im sure that contributes to flyers, but Ive gotten flyers out of a nef USH and those barrels are as thick as a rear axl on a ford LTD.

On another note Im not positive but I think the same guy ,randy fritz ,who builds tar hunts also develops loads for lightfields, so they might be a good place to start looking for a slug to shoot out of it.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Spike

Very nice gun but way way too much money to spend on a dedicated slug gun. A $250 H&R 20ga. is almost as accurate or better yet a Savage 10ml
Old 08-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice guns but way overpriced and the H&R shoots just as well for much less.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Tar Hunts are awesome. Whether or not they are over priced is a personal choice based on your wants, needs and abilities. I'd much rather have one super nice weapon than several mediocre ones. Just my $.02.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

What? No JC checking into this thread yet?

I just picked up ANOTHER 12 gauge H&R USH Deluxe in laminated camo. Used without a scratch. At $175 I couldn't pass. All it needs is a scope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.