Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Another Savage ML10 Blows >

Another Savage ML10 Blows

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Another Savage ML10 Blows

Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Spike

Driftrider,
I have to agree with you about the safety factors of the Savage ML10 2. I also found the statements of thegrizz to be more than a bit dubious. I am also a first time poster on this forum but I chose to register for the specific purpose of making it known that Savage Arms has my full confidence.
I had a hell of a time finding a ML10 to purchase but I have succeeded. I am looking forwards to many years of enjoyable service from this fine front-stuffer. I had to pay a premium for this now discontinued rifle but it's worth it to have the best.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, joining just to respond to a 5yr old thread. You must love that Savage. Add a 45 1-22twist barrel to it and you will love it even more. Or better yet....buy a New Ultra Light Arms model 20 in 50cal if you don't care for a 45.

The NULA will out shoot that Savage MLII with ease and its nearly 50% lighter.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Toby Bridges, is that you?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I highly doubt the most recent poster is TB but the OP may have been from 5yrs ago. The latest sounds like RW although his time is now compensated by Remington and the "new" Rem Ultimate ML.

Opinions and endorsements typically follow the money.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

If my memory serves me corectly, there was a guy representing Savage that wote some pretty crappy and insulting letters to the PA game commission trying to push their smokeless powder muzzleloader which was not legal at the time in PA. After the 2nd letter a letter was written to Savage and ended it. I can't swear to it but I believe the guy was TB.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

TB fell from grace with Savage many years ago and is now a staunch opponent of them. At least that is what he would like you to believe. I know he used one on a hunt after his Savage "blew up".

He even tried to extort money from Henry Ball (RIP) and Savage according to his son William Ball. Bill is a great guy BTW and a sniper in our armed forces. He still builds customs based on the Savage MLII when he is available.

Now TB is following the money trail that Traditions has presented him. He burned his "bridges" with Knight Rifle also and they want nothing to do with him.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am way, way behind on this post but here's another $.02 ... and worth every penny at this piont.

Regardless of all of that, I pretty much don't care about the slamming of this rifle at this point. My cousin had one and I liked the fact that I could use a few smokeless powders. I realize such is not legal for hunting in some states, but it is where I hunt. So I bought a slightly used 10ML from a local gunshop. I have no clue how many rounds have been put through mine. I have probably shot only 300-400. All I know for sure is that is is very consistent in grouping great and has been a pleasure to use. The accutrigger is a nice feature. I will add that I do not experiment with charges. The instruction book's recommendations work just fine. And the ease of cleaning ? Well let's just say I am getting lazy in my old age and it is a pleasure compared to washing down a fired black powder charge.

If mine does blow, I'll let you'all know .... if I survive.

Last edited by Mojotex; 12-25-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Book loads are pretty safe but keep an eye on vent liner erosion. Once the vent gets to around .035, its a very good idea to replace it. Also make sure the flash channel under the primer stays clean.

Clean it with a 1/8-5/32 drill bit by HAND. Not chucked up in a drill.

As carbon builds in that channel, the volume goes down. As volume lowers, pressure on the primer increases.

You could also try 60-65gr of Reloder7 IF you are shooting 300gr bullets. That data makes less pressure than the faster book powders and pretty close to the same fps. Re7 was one of the original book powders for the ML-I not ML-II.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gm54-120 .... Thanks for the tips. I am a sticler for cleaning and any advice is always welcomed.

I will add that with the "book loads", my particular rifle did not group 300 gr. bullets well at all. I hunt white tail deer with my 10 ML, with shots seldom past 125 yards or so. I have had excellent results with the 250 gr. sabots, both at the range and in the field. My favorite of late is the Barnes sabot. I have used it for 3 seasons now with great results as far as penetration and accuracy.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you try a .458 300gr bullet in a Harvester Black Crushrib sabot?

That combination is extremely popular in the Savage MLII. Personally i dont care for the faster book powders and a 300gr bullet. SR4759 would be my choice if needed. IMO Reloder7 and N120 are far superior powders when using a 300gr bullet. They yield better max fps and less peak pressure.

Quick Reply: Another Savage ML10 Blows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.