Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Which rifle in .338 Win Mag >

Which rifle in .338 Win Mag

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which rifle in .338 Win Mag

Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Which rifle in .338 Win Mag

.338 Win Mag - Pick one and tell me why ?

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=023B&cat_id=035&type_id=2 02

OR

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/8400/8400_montana/75/
Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which rifle in .338 Win Mag

Browning all the way. I have not had good luck with Kimber as far as accuracy goes.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

That Montana in .338 will probably kick the snot out of you. I like the Browning myself. I've got a Kimber 84M and it's very accurate but some aren't (apparently). It's hit or miss. I would also recommend a Ruger Hawkeye.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

What will the main purpose of this rifle be? may make me lean to a control feed vs. push feed, depending on the reason why...

I agree if I went with a kimber....I'd pick a heavier model in a .338 than the montana...

my 2 brownings I must say are awesome, though they're 10+ years old now. BAR and Abolt, both are great.

Of those 2, I'd get the browning. Keep looking....maybe you'll find one that'll pick itself...

Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 PM

The only 338 I have any "hands on" with is a Savage 110, a sub 1/2" rifle, but they are all going to kick quiet a bit.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since I bought my 1st a-bolt years ago,I've gotten several more and browning a-bolt has became my favorite bolt action rifle of ALL time. Only handled and shot a couple x-bolts so for for buddys/customers and I concluded the x-bolt is as much a winner as the a-bolt was/is. Browning all the way! I've NEVER seen an a-bolt that was inaccurate and I've seen/shot a BUNCH.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 PM

Browning does make an awsome rifle, but Savage will hang with them every day.
If you prefer Browning get one you will not be dissatisfied, my problem is when someone is trying to push a mega buck custom rifle when an off the shelf production gun will equal or best it, well I get Pi--ed off!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I wasn't trying to push for custom rifles,I've been building them for years professionally and HAVE to disagree with your statement about off the shelf rifles equaling or besting them There's NO possible way you could EVER depend on that. Sure,once in a while all the mass produced factory tolerances "click together" exactly right,producing an extremely accurate rifle BUT you're forgetting the pride of ownership of having a rifle built to your exact specs,not only caliber,cartridge,rifling twist rate,throat depth,barrel weight,barrel length,length of pull,comb/heel height,camberwood type/grade options,checkering options,finish type,action type/length,extractor style,etc. Custom rifles,such as I build,along with many others,are all hand built/fitted to YOUR specs,with NO mass produced tolerances,1 at a time. Factory rifles do a heck of a good job when you consider they're meant for the majority of shooters/hunters,but what if you aren't "average size"? That's another area where custom rifles shine. What if you're wanting different specs than the factory rifles offer? What if you want a rifle designed from ground up for 1 exclusive purpose only? HOW IN HELL can you say a full custom rifle can possibly be equalled or bested by a rifle built exactly for the person???? All I can conclude is you've never had a full custom built exclusively for you,or you wouldn't badmouth them. There's NO COMPARSION between factory rifles and full customs,nor did anybody say anything about custom rifles(to my knowledge). AGAIN-I'm NOT trying to drum business up on this forum. You usually exibit good judgement but I find this unacceptable.

ORIGINAL: [email protected]
Browning does make an awsome rifle, but Savage will hang with them every day.
If you prefer Browning get one you will not be dissatisfied, my problem is when someone is trying to push a mega buck custom rifle when an off the shelf production gun will equal or best it, well I get Pi--ed off!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:12 PM

I'm sorry I didn't mean to whizz on your foot, and I should have said (in some situations)!
But with that being said I'll try to hit this bird from a different direction.
Most of the members on this and other hunting and shooting forums tend to be down to earth, hard working and honest. These are the people I try to give advice to, although my knollodge has it's limits, and yes I can make mistakes.
I never intentionally degrade anyone or any buisness, but since you pulled no punches on me here goes.
Anyone can do an aftermarket trigger for $100 or less
Anyone can change the recoil pad thickness for $15-$20, length of pull.
Most makers offer more than one barrel contour, heavy, sporter, feather weight ect. And some even will give different twist rates, though not many.
How about stock options, Walnut, hardwood, laminate, and a few versions of plastic.
I know there are a few guys out there that can justify the out of pocket cash for a full custom built rifle, but when you add that other zero into the price tag I don't see it.
Answer, just reload!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go again.

Browning sells a great firearm. Browning does not make any firearms. I have shot a lot of Browning rifles over the years and all the bolt action rifles I have shot have been great. With a little tinkering you can find an accurate load.

I have owned well over a dozen Kimber's over the years. I have never been disappointed with one. Nor have I ever seen a person who was disappointed with one. I have read about some hunters who were, but I have never seen it. Also keep in mind that you hold a better rifle to a better standard. You do not expect a flaw when you buy a Kimber.

As far as Savage goes, Yes a lot of them shoot well. But I have seen just as many that shot poorly. And you do expect flaws when you buy a Savage. So to compare a Savage to a Kimber is ludicrous.

Now remember "Accuracy" is rarley the main reason a hunter should choose his firearm unless he is a long distance hunter. Any rifle that can effectively kill big game to 300 yards will easily pass the accuracy test. Is "Accuracy" great, and a lot of fun---Yes it is. But it is truly not paramount.

I HAVE NEVER MET A HUNTER WHO CAN SHOOT MINUTE OF ANGLE IN A BIG GAME SITUATION. AND I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT ANY EXIST.

Your choice on this rifle IMO should depend on how you personally "carry" a hunting rifle. Weight is not an issue to me because I am a handicapped hunter and I have to ride my Kawasaki Mule to and from my blind. But when I was carrying rifles in the mountains out west then weight was the issue(not recoil). And quality of build was the issue. You can not carry two rifles into the mountains.

Personally I would choose the Kimber. However the Brownig is also a great choice.

Now not to pi** anybody off but I would not choose the Savage. But I am fortunate enough to be able to afford a more expensive rifle. I would also like to add that I own some Savage rifles. They have their place as well.

Rather than have 4 rifles and scopes. I would rather have one quality rifle and scope. So yes, I would take one Kimber over 4 Savage's if I only had so much money to work with. Tom.

Quick Reply: Which rifle in .338 Win Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.