Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
to tikka or not to tikka??? >

to tikka or not to tikka???

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

to tikka or not to tikka???

Old 08-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default to tikka or not to tikka???

Ive been shooting my Savage 270 for the last five yrs and im deffinately not happy with it! Bolt locks up and no matter how much i clean it the problems remains, im just waitin on the day when a good buck comes chasin a doe across one of our cutovers and if i happen to miss on the first shot i cant get a second shot off because of faulty equipment... Im very impressed with the look and feel of the Tikka brand, are they worth the money???
Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Which model Savage is that ?

Why don't you send it back to Savage ?

Most people don't have a problem with Savage rifles............................??

BTW - I like Tikka; Proud owner of a Sako A7 Stainless (big brother of Tikka).

I also like Savage; Proud owner of Savage Weather Warrior 16FCSS in .204
Old 08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take it to a gunsmith or send it to Savage. They have some pretty quality stuff. I have a couple Savage's and like them quite a bit.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Spike

my coyote hunting partner has a tikka. he LOVES it... just like i LOVE my winchester model 70.

i will say that his tikka holds the same if not better groups at 100 yards (given the performance of both rifles, it's hard to tell who's cloverleaf of stacked up shots is tighter)

both our rifles have wood stocks. but the tikka with a synthetic stock is quite a bit cheaper than a winchester model 70 featherweight.

it's not the rifle, it's they guy holdng it that puts stuff on the ground... but only when the rifle works properly.

i ended up with winchester because i too used to own bargain rifles. but never again!

i think you'd be happy with either tikka or winchester. even a remington 700 would be a good choice.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Deepsouthdeerjunky
Ive been shooting my Savage 270 for the last five yrs and im deffinately not happy with it! Bolt locks up and no matter how much i clean it the problems remains, im just waitin on the day when a good buck comes chasin a doe across one of our cutovers and if i happen to miss on the first shot i cant get a second shot off because of faulty equipment... Im very impressed with the look and feel of the Tikka brand, are they worth the money???
Do you hand load? Because it sounds like your rifle is building up two much presser, after your first shot. (If you keep on shooting a rifle that is building up to much presser, one day it’s going to blow up in your face.)
If you hand load go to a milder load. If you do not hand load, GET THE RIFLE BACK TO SAVAGE. The head spacing could be off.
As for tikka, I had one sold it, Very accurate. Just don’t like tikka.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah Tikkas. I've had / sold three over the years. Some folks love them, some not. I'd rather have and older Sako75 or even a newer 85. Course they are way more expensive!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Cooper, I do not load my own bullets. i shoot remington core loks. Its been doin this for a few yrs now, But yeah its just one shot then my bolt wont up back up. How would i go about telling if that were the problem before i send it back?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just describe the issue to Savage and tell them you need it fixed.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Deepsouthdeerjunky
Cooper, I do not load my own bullets. i shoot remington core loks. Its been doin this for a few yrs now, But yeah its just one shot then my bolt wont up back up. How would i go about telling if that were the problem before i send it back?
I am sorry to say this but your rifle is dangers it need to go back to Savage. There is smoothing causing too much presser to build up in your rifle after the first shot.
Most of the time this is caused by too hot of a load or headspace being too tight.
But where you said it started about two years ago, and you said you have owned this gun for about 5 years now. That makes me think it’s not the headspace. In less savages locking ring has came loose.
Without being able to see your rifle or being able to fire your rifle I cannot tell you 100% what is going on. And I will never tell you to fire this rifle.
Here is information on how to send you rifle back to savage http://www.savagearms.com/customerse...antyandrepair/

Last edited by cooper_m22; 08-13-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I'm with bugs. I've owned and sold 3 tikka's in the last few years. The all shot very well and had good triggers on them, I just don't care for the way they feel. I think the straight stock they have increases felt recoil a BUNCH and I don't care for them. Had one in 338 fed, it's gone, replaced by a sako 85, the 6.5 x 55 has been replaced by the howa with a mcgowen barrel on it, the 270 probably will never be replaced but who knows, I might run across a real deal one of these days. I really like the way a ruger hawkeye feels and shoots, it's american made and they feel good to my shoulder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.