Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.325 WSM

Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .325 WSM

In terms of recoil between2 abolts;friendsbeing chambered325wsm and mine a 338wm, IMHO not a lot of difference. In terms of accuracy they both show up when we do. Handloaded -200 gr AB have proven the best for the 325wsm and so far my 338wm has shot everything i have loaded decently but the 225gr AB has gotten the nod. On game the 325wsm on deer and a bull elk has proven worthy. I have only fired one bullet into an animal so far with my 338wm and it performed flawlessly on a bull moose this past fall. He chose the 325 because of the cool factor more then anything. While i hummed on the 325 myself I chose the 338wm insteaddue to bullet/component selection/availabilty, ballisticsand use - a dedicated larger then deer big game rifle.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Picture being in Africa and at the baggage dept. the boneheads have lost your ammo as it can't be in the same container as the gun .Now you're hooped as they never heard of a .325 much less carry ammo.........................Harold
Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 AM

I see nothing wrong with a 325WSM EXCEPT that it's an 8mm. Like it or not no 8mm has ever been popular in US.
If you like the 325WSM get it, but I would use my money to buy a 338 WM
Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Spike

I bought a new Savage model 16 package in 325WSM and finally got to shoot it today. I reload so wanted to work up a good load using the 200 AB. I used IMR 4350 powder for my loads. I loaded 3 rounds each at 61, 63 and 65 grains. I used WLRM primers. Now I'm not recoil shy and presently own several large magnum rifles. I will tell you now that this rifle was very accurate but it is in no way plesent to shoot. I shot from the bench at 100 yards and all loads shot under 1" with 65 grains being the most accurate. The recoil was so heavy that on the 9th shot the rear focal adjustment broke off the scope and flew over my head landing on the concrete behind me. Now I've read on other post that the 325WSM had moderate recoil. I wasn't sure then if I believed it and now I can tell you its NOT true. At least not the rifle I have. I own a Remington 700 in 300RUM, a Ruger 77 in 300 WM and a Ruger #1 in 375H&H and this rifle has FAR more felt recoil. I was just wondering if anyone has this same rifle and if the recoil seemed excessive or could something be wrong with my rifle?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Cant believe it would be worse then a 300RUM. Significant difference in powder charges, with identical bullet weights. With the 375, still stiffer powder charges and heavier bullets. The only way it would be in the ballpark would be weight differences. I am curious on what broke on the scope? Rear focal adjustment? What scope were you using? Pictures? I own a RUM, and an H&H, and would put them in the ballpark of each other, but the RUM is a sharper kick. The sharpest would go to my lever 45/70 loaded warm. Thats due to light weight more then anything. Ive never shot a 325 yet, so I cant comment exactly on what a browning or winchester would feel like. Poor recoil pad?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Spike

Its a Simmons scope that came with the rifle. Here are pics of the rifle.
Attached Thumbnails  .325 WSM-gun1.jpg    .325 WSM-gun2.jpg    .325 WSM-gun3.jpg    .325 WSM-gun4.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Interesting scope failure. Its a Simmons, it did as alot expect, choke on recoil,lol. How hard is your recoil pad? On my two winchesters with synthetic stocks, they both had black solid recoil pads. Both were fairly firm. One is a 7mm rem mag, the other my 300RUM. Even with the 7mm, it would make you a little tender. Wont even discuss the misery with the RUM. Ive since put wood stocks on these two guns, and they have the softer, gel style pads on them. Ive gone thru boxes worth of ammo on the RUM at the range, along with the 7MM, and my 375. What a drastic difference it makes. If that pad is in the least bit firm, that isnt helping. The Browning Xbolt, in that chambering, and weight range, has a cushy pad, and would likely lead others to say its a *****cat to shoot. Im basing this off my wife's 300win in an Xbolt. I could shoot that thing all day if the barrel wouldnt cook.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh yes, the 325 definately gets your attention when it goes off. My Bwng. Micro Hunter with a Burris Short Mag scope weighs in at just over 7 lb. And she rocks you when you trip the sear. But it can shoot. <1" 5 shot groups are the norm with some in the 1/2" class. I use the 200 gr AB and Reloader 19 powder.
And if you reload, and can't locate any 325 WSM cases, the 300 WSM cases work just fine. All you need to do is run them thru the sizer and presto - you now have a 325 WSM case. Just don't try to load and fire in in a 300 WSM.