HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/279436-compare-browning-bolt-ruger-77-remington-700-a.html)

sonnys 12-21-2008 02:43 AM

compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700

Rate the Browning A bolt as compared to the ruger 77 or remington 700 I am buying the Browning in 7mm 08 but wonderd what everyone thought

stalkingbear 12-21-2008 10:21 AM

RE: compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700

The browning A-bolt is not even in same class as the ruger and remington-it's in a class above them, both in design and features. I've owned remings and rugers but after buying my 1st a-bolt, I've never bought any other rifle (for myself). I have built a bunch of rifles on remington actions,as well as a few rugers. Remember-this is MY opinion ONLY but the browning has several features I love,and the 1s I don't like is easily modified. The a-bolt has 3 locking lugs, that transulates to 60 degree bolt throw. The tang safety that lies directly and naturally under my thumb where I don't have to radically change my hand grip or lose grip alltogether in order to manipulate safety. the removable mag that's concealed by floorplate so that you can change mags in about 2 seconds, it does take a small tad longer to change mags compared to an exposed removable mag but looks much nicer. The trigger is easily adjusted to acchive an crisp,light pull. Another nice thing is they actually come factory glass bedded (although I've seen some I had to rebed properly). lastly, the basic stock design on a-bolts fit me exceptionally well after adding a little more length to length of pull with a thicker recoil pad.

Now the bad-what I do on my own PERSONAL a-bolts ONLY is remove the tiny pin that locks into bolt handle when on safety, as well as removing the rod that goes up directly into bottom of striker when on safe. Remember-this is on MY rifles only. They ARE still as safe as other rifles however because the safety still absolutely locks all sear movement but now I can operate bolt while on safe. That's where the new x-bolt is an improvment by featuring a button you can depress in order to operate bolt while on safe.

In fact, I like a-bolt actions so much, am always on lookout for rifles that look as if they've been drug behind truck so that I may obtain them cheap in order to strip for action.

Mr. Longbeard 12-21-2008 05:26 PM

I have to agree... I've owned them all and nothing shoots like my A-Bolt's

I've got a 7mm Mag with BOSS and will take cheap as win power points and put 5 of them in a sub half inch group at 100yards... I'm sold;)

VAhuntr 12-21-2008 06:04 PM

They are nice rifles but they do not feel right when I shoulder them. TheA-Bolts that I have been around shoot a tad better than my Ruger M77 but no better than my Remington 700 or Tikka T3.

wrestler2nd100 12-24-2008 01:42 PM

I have a A-bolt and the rem700 and love them both. They are both extremly comfortable for me. I have had my abolt for 7 years and just got the 700 this year.

bronko22000 12-24-2008 02:54 PM

Rate them - on a scale of 1 - 10. (10 highest):
Browning: 9
Ruger: 7
Remington: 5 (the older ones a 8)

The Brownings with the 60* bolt is nice. Wood to metal fit is excellent and accuracy is good.
The Rugers have a nice solid feel. (I personally don't like the 3 pos safety). They are accurate. The 77 MK IIs had a horrible trigger that almost always needed some kind of work. The new trigger should do nothing but improve the rifle's capability.
Remingtons lately have been a disappointment to me. They still look good (the CDL) but quality is not what it used to be. The bolt lock-up on the Rems is not as good as on the other 2. Those big lugs on the bolt most of the time don't engage too much metal. (Check a used on and see how much wear there is on the rear of the lugs)

c j 12-24-2008 06:14 PM

Personally, I prefer Rugers.

1st off, Rugers are built like tanks. Overbuilt, if anything. Not something I'd ever be worried about falling apart or blowing up on me.

I also love the fact that Ruger has a Mauser-style action and controlled round feed. I don't really care much about the degree of bolt lift, so a 60 degree vs a 90 doesn't mean much to me.

I see the 3-position safety on the Rugersas a huge plus, rather than a disadvantage. For me it's not that big of a deal for the safety not to be on the tang.

Ruger also has integral scope mounts, so there's no need for a base. One less thing to pay for, one less thing to have go wrong. Additionally, the rings are included on all new rifles. Good system, IMO.

Accuracy? I, personally, have never had any issues. All of mine have shot better than 1.5" @ 100 yards with factory ammo. Better (sometimes significantly better) depending on the brand, bullet size, etc. I reload and have never had any trouble getting them to group under an inch at 100 yds.

The one common knock against Ruger is the trigger. And I have had a few with 'lawyer' triggers. But that's something a 'smith can fix for less than $50. Or a guy can get an aftermarket trigger for not much more than that. The last few 77 Mk II's I bought new actually came pretty decent right from the factory. One was outstanding; light, crisp, creep-free. Another came new at about 3lbs but still had some creep to it. But again, not a huge problem.

CarpetBagger 12-24-2008 07:52 PM

I think your 6 one way half a dozen the other on 90% of your hunting rifle picks.

How many rounds do you put through your hunting rifle each year. If i put 50 rounds through my 270 each year its due to some serious target shooting...

Keep em clean and they all will last well into your grandkids days.

Dozen Arrows 12-24-2008 08:13 PM

I would not waste my money on a Browning. From what I've seen at the range is they are not all that accurate as some people claim. I think they are hyped up, IMHO. I would save yourself a few hundred dollars and go with either the Ruger, Remington, or the Tikka if I were you!

stalkingbear 12-24-2008 08:21 PM

I never could understand why in the world anybody would quit making tang safety like Ruger did or choose a rifle where you have to completely remove your grip in order to manipulate safety whereas with a tang safety (like old style Ruger or Browning A-bolt) the safety lies naturally directly under thumb.