Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rifle Advice?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Default Rifle Advice?

I'm somewhat of a newb to the deer hunting world but am looking into getting a nice rifle I can use for the rest of my hunting days. What would you recommend out of the list below and any knowledge about each gun would be greatly appreciated...(caliber, stock type, other models...etc.)
I was thinking a composite stock along the lines of a..

Winchester model 70, extreme weather SS
Remington model 700 XCR
Kimber montana
sako 85 Tikka T3 Lite

and probably in a .308
advice and any other suggestions please
aslo...what scopes do you all prefer
I was think some kind of Leupold, probably 3.5x- 10x 40mm
Old 12-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Advice?

My choice would be the Remington 700 XCR. That is one badass rifle! And I would get it chambered for .30-06. For a number of reasons.... It doesn't kick as hard as a 300 but still has enough power to take down pretty much anything in North America. There's also a very wide variety of bullets for that caliber. You could shoot a 150 grain round for deer and then shoot a 220 grain round for Elk. Very versatile. Plus, the ammo is relatively cheap.

As for optics... I like Nikon and so do a lot of other people. Their stuff is top-shelf and it's nowhere near as expensive as some of the others. As for power, I wouldn't limit yourself with a 3-9 power. A lot of people go with a 3-9 power scope because they're hunting in places where they'll never make a shot over 200 yards. That fine and all, but what if they need to take a further shot? Or they get a chance to go hunt somewhere like Colorado? That's why I went with a 4.5-14 power. Yes, it's still not that big, but I have just a little more zoom over a 3-9. And if you've ever looked through a scope when it's on 3 and another scope when it's on 4 or 4.5, it looks identical. There's no reason to have a scope that starts at 3 when 4.5 is exactly the same. And then you'll have that much more zoom. Even a scope with 5 being the lowest setting wouldn't be a bad close range scope. If you want to get a really nice scope, I suggest Nikon Monarch in either 4-16X42 or 5-20X44. That's a top-of-the-line scope and either one has plenty of power for almost every situation you'll encounter. And it'll still be fine to make close shots.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

All of the rifles you mentioned are quality firearms. I would suggest that you handle each and see how well they feel in your hands and when you shoulder each rifle. A rifle that fits well delivers recoil to your shoulder better and you will shoot that firearm better than a rifle that is awkward feeling in shooting positions. As for the 308 Winchester it is a good round. I do prefer the 30-06 but the 308 is nearly is as good. I prefer the 30-06 when shooting bullets heavier than 165 grains. Out of the rifles you listed I like the Winchester but the Tikka will certainly be lighter in weight. The 308 and 30-06 are not hard kickers in my opinion but that may not be the case to someone beginning to shoot. If I have any good advice it is to buy the rifle you like and feel the most comfortable with. This is the one that will make you the happiest in the end.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

I left out the scope part. I have for many years been a Leupold fan. I also own bushnell elites, nikon monarchs, & zeiss conquests. I have moved to the Zeiss Conquest camp. My most recent acquisition was a 4.5-14X44 & I love this scope. The adjustments are accurate and repeatable. I do believe the glass in the conquest to be better than the Leupold VX-III scopes that are out today. However, if you go with the Leupold you will have an excellent scope. I just now favor the Zeiss.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the advice guys I'll look in to my options at my local outdoor experts and see which one I like the best, pre-judging I'm leaning towards that Remington but we'll see
Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

funny you picked 3 out of 4 rifles that had controlled feed....

I was thinking a remington....or a browning....both push feed...btw.

for deer hunting...anything from a .243 Win. toa .300 WSM would work.

If you're strongly considering a .308.....consider a 7mm-08.

.270 Win, .270 WSM, .30-06 are some other good options.

.257 Wby. is now chambered by Remington as well.... and in their CDL SF I think, sweet rifle.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Neil if I were getting a short action like the 308 I would have to go with the Kimber Montana. At 5 lbs 2 OZ it is a really light weight and I have fire 3 different Montanas that were all MOA shooters. The 308 actually kickssurprising hard in the montana. I really like the 260 rem or 7mm-08 in that rifle for deer. No matter what you choose you are picking from a group of winners IMHO.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great line-up of rifles.

As stated, fit is everything (Handle/shoulder each of them).

However, would recommend .30-06 for versatility and ability to hunt a variety of "other" game.

Check out Burris.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/overview_burris_optics.htm

http://www.burrisoptics.com/index.html#

Have a very Merry Christmas
Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm probably the biggest fan of browning a-bolt/x-bolt rifles here so naturally 1 of those would be THE rifle I reccomend IF when you go to gunstore and compare fit, they fit you well. Also, instead of the .308, a 7mm08 will be more than you'll ever need, while being (usually) extremely accurate and very mild recoiling.

ORIGINAL: neil9s8
I'm somewhat of a newb to the deer hunting world but am looking into getting a nice rifle I can use for the rest of my hunting days. What would you recommend out of the list below and any knowledge about each gun would be greatly appreciated...(caliber, stock type, other models...etc.)
I was thinking a composite stock along the lines of a..

Winchester model 70, extreme weather SS
Remington model 700 XCR
Kimber montana
sako 85 Tikka T3 Lite

and probably in a .308
advice and any other suggestions please
aslo...what scopes do you all prefer
I was think some kind of Leupold, probably 3.5x- 10x 40mm
Old 12-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd want to pick up all of them just for comparison first, but of those you list, I'd probably opt toward the Kimber or the Remington.

If deer are your primary quarry, you'll be fine with the .308. You could even hunt elk or moose with it some day,(though some will likely respond back now that I'm insane for recommending anything less than a .338 Magnum ).

Quick Reply: Rifle Advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.