Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Lever Action Rifle

Old 02-12-2003, 07:24 AM

Default Lever Action Rifle

Hello All, I am in the market for a good all purpose lever action rifle for hunting White Tail, Bear, Moose. I have only a crossbow at the moment and am looking to make the leap over. Are lever action rifles all the same? Is Browning's BLR a decent rifle? Any recommendations? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 02-12-2003, 07:47 AM

Default RE: Lever Action Rifle

I have a Browning BLR in 243 that I have deer hunted with for 23 years. It is short and manuverable on running game. I have shot deer out to 450 yds(way to far). If you are interested in the lever action the BLR can't be beat. I have a Redfield Widefield 3x9 on it and I can really pick up running deer fast. I have killed 6 running with it and in the 243 if they are within 125 yds I don't have to lead. If you are going to a bigger caliber and don't like the kick of bolt actions, the BAR automatic is gas operated and reduces the kick alot. I have a BAR as well in 243. I currently am looking at getting a BAR in 7mm Mag for elk, bear, or moose. I have cousins that have the BAR's that hunt in Oregon. When it is cold they leave their guns in the vehicle so they won't jam from the temperture change, and wipe all excess oil off when cleaning.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:15 PM

i have several lever action rifles. by far my favorite is the browning lightening blr in a the 7mag cal .they are a little heavy but are very rugged. i also have a marlin 45.70 . i put a muzzle break and peep site on it. just added a bigger lever also.the only prob i had with the browning was the customer service. i have never gooten any answers to any of my emails.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Carpie:

I' ve used a BLR in .358 Winchester for hunting deer, moose and bear in the Parry Sound district off and on for the past 20 years or so (almost exclusively for the past 10).

I think its the ideal hunting rifle for the thick stuff here in Ontario. I' ve had a lot of " Hammer of Thor" type results on deer over this period, but unfortunately I haven' t come across a bear or moose while carrying it in the past decade. Input from other users indicates to me that it would be more than adequate for these animals. The gun carries well, and is quick to the shoulder. It' s quite comfortable to use.

You may be in luck. They are re-introducing the .358 chambering this year, and the owner of Gunsmart in Brockville has indicated he may be able to sell one in the $875 range.

Rick
Old 02-13-2003, 04:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2003, 05:13 AM

I would lean towards the Savage 99 myself and used one for many years up here in Maine before switching to bolts a couple years ago.The 99 is easy to carry and plenty accurate.Still keep a couple for hunting with every now and then.

woods
Old 02-13-2003, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen.

Rick, what length is your BLR 358? Any prob' s sourcing ammo? I will for sure have to check out Gunsmart, just a short trip from where I live anyway. The price sure sounds reasonable.

Bob, looks like I' ll be needing something that can handle the cold weather (snow conditions ). Temperature was something that I didn' t consider until you mentioned it. Thx.

dep214, was it just e-mail customer service over at Browing that you had a problem with or their customer service in general. I' m not sure I can order from them direct to have a rifle shipped up here in Canada.

John Y, I think I will indeed go and try a few, there is a rifle range/guns shop not far from here too. I' ve never owned or shot a lever gun. I' ve had BB guns as a kid and have shot a.22 cal at a friends farm but never a higher caliber hunting firearm. Great suggestion.

Woodseye, I' m not sure on the availabilty of the Savage 99 and ammo up here but will check it out too. Thx.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:06 AM

i had problems with browning on emails and with phone calls. lots of promises but they never came thru. a local dealer may be able to better handle things than you trying alone.the rifles are very good and handle all kinds of weather.the glass you put on any rifle makes the accuracy. i have the browning lightening blr in a 7mag with a swarovski 4x12x50.very expensive but woth it not to have to worry about getting knocked off line.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:09 PM

personally if i was going to get a lever action i get one in 45-70 but thats just me.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:37 PM

I' m with propmahn on this one. A marlin lever action guide gun in 45-70 is high on my wish list, and I' m hoping to get one in the next year. I need a short, stout gun for treestand bear hunting, and possibly a moose hunt some year.

Woodseye had a good suggestion, also. The savage 99' s were a sweet piece! I had one in 250-3000 years ago, and regret getting rid of it!

A lot of guys like the Browning BLR, but I bought a new one about 20 yrs. ago in .308 caliber, and it was a real chunk of crap. I couldn' t get that gun to shoot decent after 6 or 8 reload attempts, and even had some of the bullets keyholing in the target. Someone told me they were being made in Japan at that time, and maybe they still are, but I traded it in on another firearm. Probably just got a lemon, but it didn' t fit me right anyway.

Quick Reply: Lever Action Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.